Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bankruptcy Sale At Penn Camera

Re: Bankruptcy Sale At Penn Camera

Penn Camera never adapted to the changing environment. They were tweaking product lines when they should have been asking--What makes a photography store relevant in the 21st century? I don't think there's an easy answer, but it's not continuing to do the same thing while your customers dwindle.

Let's hope they can keep the remaining three stores and get reorganized with a smaller footprint.

They bought up a few stores in Baltimore that was never their core market. It's tough to keep a lot of stores stocked with inventory that hasn't been moving during the economic downturn.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I gave up on the Penn Store in Rockville when the manager told me that the salespeople were on commission, so I should expect them to lie to me to their advantage. There were a number of times when waiting for service in a busy store prior to that I could see them pushing the same product to people no matter what their stated needs were. I certainly won't miss that particular store. I'd much rather do the travel and the tolls and go to Ace. Won't be missed by me.

Octogenarian

And yet, with those negative statements about Penn Camera, they managed to stay in business for more than 55 years.

Some of their customers must have been satisfied.

I used to go to the DC store to buy 8x10 sheet film all the time. But I can't remember the last time I was able to buy it in a store over the counter. Must be 15 years at least.

I have to wonder, since I live in the DC area - is Pro Photo still in business?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom J McDonald View Post
    Yes, I don't think digital is killing stores, but the dreaded internet.
    Not neccesarily, If it weren't for the internet, large format wouldn't be nearly as wide-spread as it is. I can buy chemicals locally, but everything else thats LF, even graded printing papers are mail-order for me. The closest camera store with LF gear is 150 miles away.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    And yet, with those negative statements about Penn Camera, they managed to stay in business for more than 55 years.

Some of their customers must have been satisfied.
    My experience with them only goes back about a dozen years, not 55 years. I can think of LOTS of camera stores that used to be wonderful, but only a few that still are.

Rick "past performance is no guarantee of future results" Denney

Octogenarian

C'mon Rick, I'm sure that the sales people at Penn Camera that you experienced were not the same folks that helped me out 55 years ago.

I'm also sure you realize that a business is only as good as the people who run it.

Companies that have managed to remain in business for 55 years are few and far between. Penn Camera made the grade.

That was the point I was trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Penn Camera made the grade.

That was the point I was trying to make.
    And now apparently they aren't making the grade anymore, which was the point I was trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    B&H and Adorama are brick and mortar stores.
    Same old sad song Bob? Not many of us can walk in to a camera store like we once knew. I'm thankful for internet vendors but many of us miss the social shopping experience. I'd just as soon shop at Amazon.com since that face to face shopping experience is gone with the wind.