Thread: Off to Connecticut in a few months....any suggestions ?

Les

Off to Connecticut in a few months....any suggestions ?

Howdy,

I'm thinking to take my newly acquired 4x5 with me. After reading the thread on TSA and X-ray at the airports, I feel that I should just send the film via UPS ahead of me. I'm hoping that there is a lab nearby (I'll be in central CT) that can develope my negs/pos. Does anyone know of any good ones in viscinity ?

Aside from that I'd appreciate any suggestions as to interesting scenery. I'm aware that there are several waterfalls. I'm willing to rip as far as RI and even 1/2 way through MA. Anyway, hoping to return with some cool images.

Oh, one more thing, is there a place where I could rent a lens or two...that is without having to go to NYC. Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Les

Re: Off to Connecticut in a few months....any suggestions ?

Ulsaker Studio in Hartford, EP Levine in Waltham, MA.

But NY may be closer depending on where you will be in CT.

Connecticut offers outstanding subject matter, however, you will need to restrict yourself to specific areas such as: The North West corner of the state, the area where Conn, Mass & NY merge at a common point---the area along the Appalacian Trail & just south of the Mass Bershires mts---the towns of Washington, Cornwalls, Kent, Sharon, Lime Rock, Fall River just to mention some rural communities which go back to the 1700's. Farms, hills, lakes, small historic communities, New England artists, Housatonic River, museums, the early communities of the Industrail Revolution, cemetaries, private schools will keep you captivated. The back roads offer sites as well and the back roads lead to another site which is a characteristic of New England

New Yorkers have been finding this area for years.

Born & raised in Washington/Cornwalls, left in '63 as I took Horace Greeley's advice, "Go West", now in Vail, Co

I visit limerock park once a year now to photograph/spectate auto racing. The whole berkshires area in western ct/ma is filled with possibilities and variety. get your lodging reservations well in advance. Canaan CT (which looks like any other berkshire town to me) was home to Clarence White's school of famous photographers. I'd suggest punching some town/state combinations into flickr to see what other people have discovered if you're curious what your basic opportunities are. Once you get there, spend time on the back roads and hikes.

I'm sure you could buy a lens for a couple hundred and sell it when you are done rather than deal with renting one.

where in Ct? i am 45 miles from danbury. come by if you like.

what lens do you need? what lens board.

the airport carry on scanner will not hurt your film. put it all in your bag and go.

if you must send it priority mail works far fast er than ups. 2 days coast to coast usually. 3 sometimes.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery