Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dutys, fees, taxes, ect,, On Expired film Shipped from the UK to the USA

Dutys, fees, taxes, ect,, On Expired film Shipped from the UK to the USA

Hello, I want to recieve some expired film from the UK. Do I have to pay duty's. fees, taxes on expired film. Also what is the best way to make it so they wont open and ruin the film.

Will Xray ruin 8x10 sheet film? Has anyone ever had to deal with expired film being shipped to the US from the UK.

What is the best way to box, and ship expired sheet film.

Any and all info would be helpful

Re: Dutys, fees, taxes, ect,, On Expired film Shipped from the UK to the USA

I've purchased film from there (fuji direct) and didn't pay any fees. Not sure why it being expired would make any difference, it's not bananas!
    xrays can ruin any film, regardless of format or emulsion. I've never had xray issues.

We do not typically pay any duty on small change imports for personal use.

I really do not understand why one would import expired film though...I think I'd rather buy fresh cheap stuff from the usual suppliers (freestyle, B&H, BadgerGraphic, ViewcameraStore, Adorama the local pro shop, the guy in san francisco, etc...). Why would you import expired film ? Is it free?

EDIT: your concern about Xray damage is justified. Depending on how the film is shipped, it could be subjected to very significant xray exposure....much higher dose than even that used to inspect checked baggage on commercial airline flights.

Free Advice: don't screw around with this. Buy fresh film locally and don't worry about it. The cost of film is comparatively minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Buy one box and have it shipped with a dosimeter to check for Xray exposure.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

buy fresh locally and don't worry about any of this.

I have found a deal I cant pass up. I will risk it, Thanks for all your responses.

i have only pad tax once....on a $4000 lens i bought from an auction.....it was only like $100 in tax.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Eddie, did costumes ask for the value of the lens or just made up a fee. Due they use the insured value to estimate tax ?

Mike

i think it was UPS that gave me the shafting.....not sure who or how they determined the fee.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    i have only pad tax once....on a $4000 lens i bought from an auction.....it was only like $100 in tax.
    If you lived in Brazil: 60% duty $2400
    18% VAT $ 720
    Adm. Tax $ 75

Your beloved lens will cost 7195 U$. A little contribution to maintain Brazilian highly incompetent and corrupt politics...