Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Epson v750 vs drum scan

Still Developing

Re: Epson v750 vs drum scan

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    I suppose I'd rather see comparisons between CCD scanners and comparisons between PMT scanners rather than mixing the two. ....
    In this case, I think we all know what a $50k PMT scanner is capable of producing and this is more of a story about the capabilities of the Epson V750 as a much less expensive alternative. With which I agree is okay, but with the caveat that they are indeed different species. It's interesting to do (comparing), and I think it's very informative for those who are wondering about the capabilities and limitations of consumer CCD scanners, and compared what they will be getting when they pay for relatively expensive drum scan.
    That would be fine if Drum Scanners still cost $50,000 but if you wait a bit you can pick one up for the same price as a new Epson V750.. I paid $2,000 dollars for my first one but I didn't mind paying over the odds a bit

Tim
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    That would be fine if Drum Scanners still cost $50,000 but if you wait a bit you can pick one up for the same price as a new Epson V750.. I paid $2,000 dollars for my first one but I didn't mind paying over the odds a bit

Tim
    That's right and you can still get old Howteks on eBay, etc.. But one issue is software since it runs on older legacy operating systems. Then of course you need to find drums (and replacements when they craze, etc..) and mounting stations. Kami fluid, mylar, and tape isn't cheap either. It all adds up. In addition there's the maintenance, and parts replacement which is so limited now.

If you do have a Howtek, the Lippencots still do some support http://store.aztek.com/servlet/-strs...TEK/Categories and also with software.

I'm not familiar with using Heidelberg's Tango. But there's no more support either. I believe the Aztek is all that's currently manufactured and supported (?)

I worked for several years at a professional studio on an Aztek. Fortunately I still have access to using it for my own production.

Karl Hudson still services and repairs/maintains the heidelberg drum scanners. He's based in Germany, but also has an office in atlanta.

I have a dpl 8000, and made the decision to purchase that scanner because aztek is 50mi from my house, rather than having to fly karl in from germany, plus cost of maintenance. If I was europe based, i'd probably get a heidelberg, simply because of greater availability of surplus machines and ease of servicing vs here in the usa.

Dan