Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If I did some prints, would you buy one?

If I did some prints, would you buy one?

As the title suggests really. I've so many photos from many different projects. There are the street scenes, the portraits and the nudes.

If I did a limited run of colour (or b&w) prints, would any of you buy them? What is a decent price that makes it worth selling and worth buying?

Considering they will be proper photo prints but not darkroom prints, will people still be happy? I know in my mind what I'd charge and how I'd market full-on silver prints, but I don't have the money or the facilities to produce a limited run from there at the moment.

Thoughts were to do portfolio boxes of 10 smaller images, and also larger prints as singles.

Re: If I did some prints, would you buy one?

You are asking the age old question. It's easy to find people who like your work but another to get them to part with their cash. Price is determined by materials and what you feel your time is worth plus any commission a gallery or sales rep will charge. Price high first as you can always bring it down.... it's a lot more difficult going the other way.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Joshua Tree, California

If I made some vaguely defined prints would you buy one?

If I made a trolling remark, would you bite?

No, I wouldn't buy them at any price. Which for me moots the rest of your thread.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Considering they will be proper photo prints but not darkroom prints, will people still be happy?
    I'm not confident that "proper photo prints" are anything other than "darkroom prints" and I fear that you may be offering "print-outs" of one kind or another. On the other hand were you to offer photographs made out of light sensitive materials, made one at a time, start to finish, by your own hand then you could have market power.

Local prices for well made, well mounted photographs, produced from valuable materials (platinum, palladium, silver, etc), by previously unknown photographers run $250 to $ 450. A public profile, perhaps enhanced by a well publicised exhibition, helps a lot.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

You are trying to sell ice to Eskimos and you aren't a famous ice maker, so no I wouldn't buy one. Sorry that is not the answer you are looking for.

For what its worth, and I only mean this in a helpful way:

I think you could sell your services as a portrait photographer. Your style is creative and artistic. You could do well by offering your services to clients that want portraits.

I don't think the "things falling apart" series has many individual print sellers. They are good photographs, but can't really see them selling on their own. I look at them as telling a story, and think they would be more compelling in a book.

I'd much rather use my cash to buy materials to print FB prints in the DR from my own negatives.

Who are you? What do your pictures look like? Whatis a proper print???