Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freezer

Re: Freezer

I researched freezing and storing film.... wrote in past thread

If you want to keep film for longer than ten years, then I would consider freezing. When film is manufactured the emulsion has a relative humidity level standard that has to be maintained. Too low and the emulsion cracks and to high it rots and excepts gasses that interact with the emulsion. There is a whole list of gases that really are quite common, if you want a list email me. Basically everything in the kitchen and the garage will effect the emulsion if the emulsion humidity gets to high. So seal your film no matter how you store it. Then the type of base is also consideration, acetate film base, emulsion cracking can occur but not so much of a problem. Estar or polyestar based film, well have you ever developed a roll of film that looks like a spring that cannot be straitened? well that means too dry or low humidity. Freezing very much can change the humidity level of the emulsion of your film emulsion, which you really want to avoid.

go here for a little freezer education http://www.green-energy-efficient-ho...-freezers.html

LOL.... kill-a-watt ... It looks like the average energy efficient freezer is between 300 and 400 watts per/hour like 3 or 4 light bulbs burning all the time.....

The wife insisted on a good freezer from Sears and the sales guy said it was efficient so .... i know my electric jumped about 20 bucks....

http://www.mikepic.com

The energy label on my freezer said $30/year, which really means $45/year to me as our electricity is higher priced than average.

I'm sure it draws 3-400 watts when running, but it's a very small duty cycle of running.

There is no such thing as watts per hour, as watts are an instantaneous value rather than a consumable energy unit value like BTUs or calories. watts multiplied by hours is how electricity is metered/billed. A kill-a-watt can measure watts instantaneously, or log watt[*]hours over a time period like your utility meter.

If your wife insisted on the model that draws more, then it's OK as long as you don't mind paying the bill.

My 10 months old Liebherr GTP 2356-20 chest uses 48 W with compressor running. I've just connected it through a logging device to see how much it eats in a day. It's a 200 litre A+++ device dedicated to film and paper, and the door would be open only a few times a week.

The kilowatt-hour (symbolized kWh) is a unit of energy equivalent to one kilowatt (1 kW) of power expended for one hour (1 h) of time.
    Inversely, one watt is equal to 1 J/s. One kilowatt hour is 3.6 megajoules, which is the amount of energy converted if work is done at an average rate of one thousand watts for one hour.

i am just guessing on the power consumption cuz i pay the bill