Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezer

Freezer

With the continued downward spiral of Kodak news, it seems like it might be a good time to stock up on some Portra. The few boxes I have stored in the freezer at any given time are the source of enough strife as it is, so it's time to get an additional small freezer, probably off of craigslist.

Are there any particular features that are recommended for film storage? Is frost free something I should be looking for?

Thanks

Rob

Re: Freezer

Freezers new are pretty cheap, check out Costco,Lowe's,Sears,Home Depo.

Mike

I avoid frost free since it heats up a little every day to keep the frost down. chest freezers are more energy efficient, but less convenient to get to the bottom of. However my chest freezer makes a fairly good counter in the darkroom. Also, newer freezers use much less energy than the old ones, so factor that into cost of an ancient one on Craigslist.

Also, the freezer will be the cheapest part of your Portra stash if you fill it.

I have a $200 7cu ft Holiday chest freezer from Lowes. I made a divider out of a scrap of plywood to keep the film separated from the food. Newer freezers are going to be more energy efficient than a cheap or free ancient one, and that's important to me.

Boxes of 10 sheets of 8x10 were opened in the darkroom and combined to take half the space. a couple boxes of 4x5 go into gallon ziplocks. 6 or so propacks of 120 film per gallon ziplock. I spend money on film and freezer and my wife saves some of it back by stocking the freezer with food when grocery bargains are to be found.

I got a 5 cu foot for like 160 bucks to augment an existing one...I'djust keep film freezers as film-only--then you don't go in there too much and no frost will result....they are cheap cheap cheap these days....buy an extra for film...then you'll have redundance if one breaks....I was gonna double up a bunch of boxes to make all I got fit in one freezer but it's easier and more reliable to have 2 freezers filled with single-fill boxes...redundancy...and cheap freezers (and cheap energy--relatively speaking)...

Thanks for all the freezer knowledge. Sounds like a new one is the way to go and will probably cost marginally more than 10 sheets of 8x10. Since it will be dedicated to film, I can probably keep it pretty small. Combining boxes seems like a smart idea too.

Thanks again

Rob

The Freezer is the cheapest part of the equation!

I just spent $1900 on 200 sheets of Astia 8x10 this week, Ouch.
    With many of my favorite films becoming extinct or difficult to obtain, you have to load up when you can.

I sell my work so my hope is always that I can turn this frozen stock back into money when the time comes. Thats getting harder to do these days too.

I really wish someone would make a 4x5 ccd sensor that would be in the 100meg range. Life would be much simpler.

www.timeandlight.com

You have to wonder how much your film is actually costing you after say 10 years of freezer storage. My freezer keeps some strawberries and some veggies cold for later consumption. if i unplugged my freezer it would save about 20 bucks a month. It really does use the power and it is a new one.... soo 120 months X 20 bucks thats 2400 dollars for ten years of storage.... and thats assuming that electricity does not go up. Then figure the money for the actual investment in film put in an investment account say an average of 10 percent per year return... the space your freezer takes up ... well i am hoping that someone will be making the film as i need it......

http://www.mikepic.com

Power is worth considering the cost of, but WAGs for power consumption aren't needed with the advent of $30 testers. Power use tags are on new freezers if you're shopping.

You need to put a kill-a-watt on it Mike instead of guess it takes $20/month.

Before a year ago, I didn't stockpile film, other than 35mm because it was cheaper to get 20-packs and I was too lazy to roll my own. Now with Kodak up in the air, many people are getting Kodak while it's not either special order or disappeared. If kodak were in better shape, I might have a little as a convenience and hedge against silver prices, but it wouldn't involve anything more than displacing a box of ice cream in the kitchen freezer.