Thread: Choice of Thread Lubricant

Choice of Thread Lubricant

I am in the process of changing out a shutter on one of my lenses I have found that the threads in the new shutter are "dry" and as I try screwing the lens element in, I here lots of little squeeks. Is there a specific lubricant I should use for these threads as not to contaminate the shutter mechanism?

I've used a number 2 pencil on the threads, just "color" the first couple threads. Should screw in readily.

Well, since noone else has chimed in here I'll make a quick comment.

Although pencil 'lead' can make a lubricant because it contains graphite, it's also mostly clay. In certain applications, this can act like a mild abrasive.

I would sugegst that if you like graphite, use graphite. Available just about anywhere, most commonly in auto stores for lock lubricant...

Well, the old school technician who worked for the Schneider distributor here in OZ, a lovely man by the name of Karl, gave me the 'good oil' on lubricating threads for lens sections and for filters:

Get a dab of silicone grease on the finger and wipe it off on a tissue. Then wipe the finger over the thread. Only a microscopic amount of lubricant is applied but it works a charm. He suggetsed that the silicone grease will not melt in the heat or 'run' into areas where it would be harmful. He also pointed out the mld abrasive quality of graphite in micro-precision situations. The silicone grease should only be employed when and where necesary and one application on a couple of problem pieces has lasted a decade for me.

The principal encounter I found was with varying 'precision products'. A Swiss Sinar filter holder ring would be in a metal and at a level of precision that would be problematic with the metal and precision of a German lens. One application of the silicone and there was national harmony.

Nose grease! Yes, wipe the side of your nose with your index finger and then rub the dry threads with it. If your skin is exceptionally dry, this might not work, but you don't need much "lubricant" to get rid of the squeeks.