Page 29 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Still-Life Images, 2012

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Still-Life Images, 2012

Maybe I was just reacting to something I'm in tune with, how the glass of the old lenses captures the light coming through other glass, all halos and waves... There's some elusive hint of magic in it. And whatever those odd atmospherics are in the upper right above the jar... All anchored by a sharp, dead bug.

I can't tell if it's a carpenter bee, but I get those in my yard. I like them a lot. They're one of the most primitive bees on the evolutionary scale, no social interaction with other carpenter bees beyond mating. Lives of simple solitude...

I never work in factors and such when figuring for bellows extension, I just figure what the f/stop really is. Divide the bellows extension by the aperture diameter. That's it...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Thanks for your observations. I agree with your assessment of old glass capturing other glass. The "atmospherics"--rendered as such by Petzval magic--is my kitchen faucet. The bug was in the jar on the window sill above and I wanted to photograph it where it was, but my current tripod is without a center column and I couldn't get it high enough, so I just set the jar on the edge of the sink and took the picture there.

As for bellows extension, the more I do it the more second nature it will become. This is the first time I've come close to a 1:1 shot with the 2D. I'm still pretty new to 8x10 and LF macro in general.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by northcarolinajack View Post
    An old wash basin with water pitcher. A few cracks, but still OK for it age. Photo made to try a tiny 170mm f7.7 Kodak Anastigmat lens purchased from Jon Shiu. I had to make a lens board. It was a real surprise to find it covered my full plate Kodak. Photo made on a bed covered with black felt, window light at f16 and 1 second from shutter. The shot is cropped.

Camera – Kodak Full Plate with lens listed above.
    Nice shot, Jack. Like the gentle & simple lighting.

I have the same lens in a crude Kodak three-speed shutter, but have not used it yet. Will yours cover WP or 5x7 at infinity?

Trivia: my Kodak 170mm f7.7 Anastigmat cells will fit in the Kodak Supermatic shutters used for the 127mm and 203mm Ektar, but have not checked the cell spacing yet.

--Leigh M.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    As for bellows extension, the more I do it the more second nature it will become.
    Yup! I'm pretty vehement about my way being the best way, but whatever way becomes second nature is the best. All these different methods give the same answers, and it's just getting used to whichever one seems right!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Daniel,
    thank you - I prepare this for heliogravure, having lots of trouble with the process.
    hendrik

Toyo 45A, Ektachrome, 125mm Fujinon W

Last Saturday at Fanthorp Inn State Park, Texas

David,

Very nice. I trust the tapped one was satsfactory.

Kodak 2D 8x10, A.T. Thompson 10" projection Petzval (f/7), Kodak Low Contrast Aerial Duplicating Film (SO-277) cut to 6.5" x 9".

Jonathan

Very nice shot Jonathan! Here is my recent still life, 5x7 with an R. Morrison (CC Harrison's foreman) Petzval portrait lens:

Garrett,

Is that a Fire King bowl? My wife collects china and glassware and I am hoping to combine our hobbies and shoot still life images of her collection. We'll see how that goes.

Jonathan