Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yousuf Karsh... I never knew

Re: Yousuf Karsh... I never knew

Also, if you have >$300 to spare, check out a more recent book: Yousuf Karsh, Regarding Heroes (2009).

http://www.photoeye.com/bookstore/ci...?Catalog=go055

What great information! Thanks.

Russ

I have seen a couple of his prints - amazing.

I had the opportunity to see an exhibition of Karsh's work a while back. While the print quality was better than average, it wasn't the print quality that made the images amazing. Nor was it the amazing mastery of light that he demonstrated. It was both of them together, combined with his nearly supernatural ability to transfer some of the sitter's personality onto the printed image. That last part is kind of hard to learn.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

http://ww3.tvo.org/video/162795/karsh-history

If you've got a few minutes to spare this is a nice documentary...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Karnezis View Post
    Also, if you have >$300 to spare, check out a more recent book: Yousuf Karsh, Regarding Heroes (2009).

http://www.photoeye.com/bookstore/ci...?Catalog=go055
    If you have $300 to spare you can just get this and start making your own photographs
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Ori...#ht_500wt_1206

I met Karsh 3 times, 1st time was a funny story involving coffee. The next two were with photo sessions for 2 doctors I worked for. The first ws for the founder of the practice, quite famous as a physician and as a French partisan in WWII. I was one of the staff photographers and had the assignment to make sure Karsh had everything he needed from us. Wasn't much, spoke with his assistant for a while and was allowed into the room we were using for a studio while they were setting up. At that time he was using an 8x10 with what looked like a Commercial Ektar, wasn't allowed close enough to see what focal length. Was not allowed in the room while he was working with the doc. This was all color, didn't have the drama of his B&W.
    The second session was for another MD in the practice, a Canadian also famous due to surgeries and research he had done, he insisted on having Karsh do the shoot. This one Karsh used a Hassleblad, it was about a year before his death, I was not impressed with the proofs, this MD was very self conscious and it looked it in the photos. Hard thing to have to tell someone, you don't like the images he just paid handsomely for. The interesting thing here was I could have had Arnold Newman do the session and he had a link to the doc, his son was a research MD at the institute affiliated with the practice and the doc had operated on a relative. I had called Mr Newman, it took him a couple of days to get back to me, by this time the doc had called Karsh.

Tom

I saw a show of his a couple years back at AIC. Turned me into a believer. Big prints. 8x10. Studio flashes. He had a thing and it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by George Richards View Post
    http://ww3.tvo.org/video/162795/karsh-history

If you've got a few minutes to spare this is a nice documentary...

Is there some trick to getting this to play?
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Karsh tidbit, Karsh sued his brother, another photographer, to prevent him from using the family name, Karsh.

Only after Karsh's death did my mom tell me that the Karshs were stamp collectors and my parents would often see them when visiting Ottawa, mom and Mrs. Karsh would have tea.

When I asked why they never told me, I would have tagged along in an instant!
    Mom replied something along the lines of: he wasn't a photojournalist, I thought you would not have cared.