Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The challenge of large format colour

Re: The challenge of large format colour

I find my best BW photos use the same light as my best color photographs. The difference for me is subject matter (interplay of color, textures etc). As a result, I always carry E6, C41 and BW neg, using whatever I need for a particular composition I come across.

I shoot a good amount of color in San Francisco, it's great to contrast urban plant life against dreary gray foggy days.

If it wasn't a challenge then it wouldn't be any fun!

When it's sunny and blue sky I rarely take color images. Some of my favorite color images were made during light drizzle. It's like having the worlds largest soft box.

www.timeandlight.com

I like overcast days for portraits, I save the sunny/brighter days for buildings and such.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Dull overcast days and snow makes bright colors, both natural and man made "pop" Why not take advantage of that?
    John's right. I spent an April near Coblenz. Every day started out overcast and rainy clearing by early to mid afternoon. I came home with some nice morning shots.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Shooting color film at the edges of light seems always to produce fare more effective results. Focusing with slower lenses along with the calculations for compensating filters, reciprocity failure and exposures slower then 1 second are the real challenge. The results are well worth the mental processes required. Use faster lenses to obtain precise focus. Of course, as mentioned earlier by many, overcast situations can also be desirable.

I tend to keep track of desired locations, seasons (all seasons have their advantages - (Yosemite in all seasons is magic), direction and angle of light, and of course weather conditions all promote that "image of the mind". When you are looking regularly at opportunities, that is situations that excite the spirit, this is the time for color film.

I tend to see B&W as a bit more of an intellectual process whereas color is is inspired by the moment.

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Cormack View Post
    London at this time of year is very difficult. There were some lovely muted colour pictures on this forum a while back (can't find them right now) of woods and water though, that were quite inspiring for me. Shooting at twilight can add some more blue that adds something, and we have had a few clear evenings. Plus there is some colourful architecture around too... Right now the sky is a giant softbox as usual though and it is hard to be inspired at all...
    This snapshot was taken late afternoon in Richmond Park early in November (35mm Portra 400). Despite the nauseating domesticity of it all I found the colours pleasing:

I'm not sure exactly what colour negative you have to hand but am sure there must be something or other in the UK that's worthy of it.

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mahoney View Post
    This snapshot was taken late afternoon in Richmond Park early in November (35mm Portra 400). Despite the nauseating domesticity of it all ...
    And now that you've blabbed, she's going to unleash her legion of trained kakapo parrots upon you!

Personally, I don't find color "challenging," it's just that LF color is expensive. And I have to send it out of state for development. I suppose if I were doing a lot of portraits with it, I'd get the chems and run it through my Jobo. But for what I do, 'taint worth it.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Recalling a long ago National Geographic article on "The Monsoon" I did a Yahoo search (the monsoon national geopgraphic) and then clicked on images in the cross bar menu. I can't imagine a better source of visual inspiration for images made under less than ideal conditions.

You might take a look at this and then search for other images made under foggy, overcast and outright rainy conditions to see what others have accomplished with color films during non-sunny weather.

Then again, I relate to your statement about black and white. The color work of Elliott Porter has been royally praised for decades, yet I don't relate to it at all except in appreciating nature, while the black and white work of Adams, Steiglitz, Weston and so many other have me captivated.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Apparently Richard Mahoney finds women and children to be nauseating. Guess that explains why he spends his time in the basement...