Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing a darkroom timer.

Replacing a darkroom timer.

I am looking to replace a Vivitar Time Commander darkroom timer that I have been using for over thirty years. It has the capability of setting up as many as three programs each with up to six steps. In addition it allows the setting of the drain time before the end of each step.

This programming is very useful in establishing the workflow of the development process. In addition it has a switched outlet that can be connected to the enlarger. This timer has been very handy.

Over the years some of the most frequently used buttons on the keyboard have been breaking off. This has been caused by having switches installed on the circuit board that required extreme amounts of pressure to activate when the buttons are pressed. Eventually the buttons bend and then break off.

Disassembly has shown that there is nothing to glue the buttons to so that they will operate normally. However, I can still use the loose buttons in their holes to press down on the switches so the timer remains operable, but annoying. In fact whenever I move the timer there is a tendency to lose the loose buttons.

I began looking for similar timers that would provide the same functionality. After searching photo dealers on the internet and in catalogs I have come up empty. I have not found any timers with the functionality I am looking for. In fact I can only find timers where the time must be reset for each step.

I would like to know if any forum members are aware of current products that can be programed for more than one step at a time. I can't believe that there are no other timers on the market with capabilities similar to the Vivitar.

Thanks for your help.
    al

Re: Replacing a darkroom timer.

Jobo made some clever timers like that. They would be newer than your Vivitar unit (being made in the early 2000s) but now they are no longer made, so you'd have to look at second-hand ones.

I wanted one bad a few years ago, but just got use to clicking over the hand on a Graylab as needed for each step.

Also, sometimes buttons can be replaced: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hlight=deskmes

The Jobo Processs Timer 4 and 8 are kind of clunky (can't set the timer to the precise second for example) and either don't take foot switches or the foot switches are unavailable.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Jobo-Process-Time...item5638ad979a

The Gralab 900 would suit your needs. The annoying aspect of it is that the process steps don't stay in permanent memory so every time you turn off the timer you lose your sequence. Here is a picture. I think they are only available used and they take a footswitch:

http://www.amazon.com/GraLab-Gralab-.../dp/B00009USZO

The RH Designs ProcessMaster II would be the best currently available timer and includes temp compensation (if you want), can be powered by batteries or wall outlet, has 9 steps, and a footswitch.

http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/...essmaster.html

The other option, which I have not used, is the CompNTemp software which requires a computer for use:

http://curtpalm.com//Software.html

Thanks ic,

My problem with the Vivitar is that the buttons are tiny and they were hinged as part of the plastic housing. The hinging simply wore out and there is no good way to glue it back.

Thank you Jerold,

Those are good tips. I will attempt to catch a gralab 900 on ebay or elsewhere. ebay had completed sales of the 900, but no current listings. I don't have to rush since my Vivitar still functions.

If I can't find a gralab 900 in a few weeks, then I will pursue the ProcessMaster. It looks like it will be more expensive, though.

Thanks again for the information.
    al

Quote Originally Posted by al olson View Post
    I am looking to replace a Vivitar Time Commander darkroom timer that I have been using for over thirty years. It has the capability of setting up as many as three programs each with up to six steps. In addition it allows the setting of the drain time before the end of each step.

This programming is very useful in establishing the workflow of the development process. In addition it has a switched outlet that can be connected to the enlarger. This timer has been very handy.

Over the years some of the most frequently used buttons on the keyboard have been breaking off. This has been caused by having switches installed on the circuit board that required extreme amounts of pressure to activate when the buttons are pressed. Eventually the buttons bend and then break off.

Disassembly has shown that there is nothing to glue the buttons to so that they will operate normally. However, I can still use the loose buttons in their holes to press down on the switches so the timer remains operable, but annoying. In fact whenever I move the timer there is a tendency to lose the loose buttons.

I began looking for similar timers that would provide the same functionality. After searching photo dealers on the internet and in catalogs I have come up empty. I have not found any timers with the functionality I am looking for. In fact I can only find timers where the time must be reset for each step.

I would like to know if any forum members are aware of current products that can be programed for more than one step at a time. I can't believe that there are no other timers on the market with capabilities similar to the Vivitar.

Thanks for your help.
    Looks like one sold on eBay yesterday for about $10.

Don Bryant

The Gralab 900's on Ebay are a bit fickle. Some were used by pros and beat to hell. Others are in good shape. You have to follow a few to get a good deal. I got mine for $30 but most that I see go for around $100. I haven't done a search to verify that.

I would start with the Gralab 900 if you could get a deal. It can be used as an enlarging timer also. However, I like the ProcessMaster better and that is what I use most of the time now. The ProcessMaster requires a bit of time with the instruction manual to get acquainted with the buttons and so forth. Also, the ProcessMaster is much smaller than the Gralab if that matters to your situation.

Nicholas O. Lindan

Quote Originally Posted by nolindan View Post
    It's sold!

Quote Originally Posted by nolindan View Post
    That one is a much different model than the one I have. Mine has twice as many buttons for doing the programing, etc., than that model has. Looks to me that the listed model only times for a single step.

Considering the problem I have with the buttons on mine, I think that the Gralab 900 might be a better solution even if I could get the same model Vivitar.

Thank you for your comment,
    al

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    The Gralab 900's on Ebay are a bit fickle. Some were used by pros and beat to hell. Others are in good shape. You have to follow a few to get a good deal. I got mine for $30 but most that I see go for around $100. I haven't done a search to verify that.
    I paid about $100 for mine.