Thread: Any good DVDs out there ?

Any good DVDs out there ?

A friend told me about a Brett Weston DVD (mostly MF I believe) that he'd just gotten.

Does anybody know of any good LF DVDs that are out there ? Either on technique or a 'philosophy' type of thing ?

I'm not massively interested in biography's, but how the 'greats' turn their visions into images ....

Thanks, Ron

Christopher Burkett has a DVD/video, described at:

http://www.westwindarts.com/

Lenswork Magazine has a new series featuring both a CD and a DVD interview. See

http://www.lenswork.com/lwi.htm

I now own four featuring Oliver Gagliani, Morley Baer, Don Kirby and Larry Wiese. I have learned from each and I expect to review them regularly.

Frank LaHorgue www.lahorgue.com

Fred Picker made three videos, one of which is called "Photographing With Fred Picker." It shows Fred out in the field finding subjects and making some photographs with his Zone VI 8x10 and then making a portrait with the same camera. He steps you through his thought process in selecting the subjects, composing, and then making the photographs. I'm not a big Fred Picker fan but I thought it was an interesting video and worth the $25 or so that it cost. I don't know whether it's still available from Calumet or not, I bought my set of the three about six or seven years ago.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Ron, I suggest that you take a look at the Brett Weston DVD filmed by Art Wright in the early 1970's. True, it was filmed at the time Brett was doing a lot of work with the Rollei SL66, but the film is not so much about equipment or technique; rather, it is about an extremely dedicated artist and the way he works. Art has done a good job of capturing Brett's rare qualities and "philosophy". The film also includes over 800 prints from the BW Archive.

Anyone have a source for the Brett Weston film? I'd mention as well a video about David Plowden. I have it and the source info at home- it was made (perhaps by students) at the college where he teaches.

Mark, and anyone interested in the Brett Weston DVD can check it out at the following: brettwestonphotographer.com

wfwhitaker

In addition to the Brett Weston DVD, there are two DVD's on Ansel Adams currently available. One is the Ric Burns film which is largely biographical. The second, directed by John Huszar, is more of a video "portrait" and includes some technical information. Both make for very interesting viewing and are available from The Ansel Adams Gallery.

Regards,