Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Woodmans

The Woodmans

PBS is showing a 90 minute documentary on 'The Woodmans'. Francesca Woodman was a photographer who killed herself at age 22 in 1981. This isn't directly about Francesca's photography, but I found it pretty interesting. It's more about whether fragility can make you a better artist and also pose a risk in itself, I'd say.

This is a pretty tragic and dark story but it did make me think, and the pain of the survivors is palpable. The photos aren't necessarily enjoyable, but they feel pretty powerful to me. So, if you are up for some darkness and tragedy, I'd recommend it.

Cheers,
    Richard

Re: The Woodmans

I have not seen this but will when I get the chance. It sounds interesting.

In a general sense though let me throw this in. The notion that a real artist benefits from being crazy is a notion from the Romantic period that is, IMO, nonsense. Sure some great artists were nuts but just like in the general population they are in a minority. Most of the great artists I have known were just hard working people-genius and specifically psychotic genius is overrated. I've known plenty of nuts who didn't have a creative bone in their body.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I don't know about that. I would say that many of the most creative and fascinating artists, musicians, writers etc are not average people. Not to say that in order to be a gifted creative person you have to be a train wreck. It takes a lot of courage to be an artist.

Even when a person builds up enough courage to open themselves up to a cruel critical world, then they must prepare themselves for the let downs. If a person is not strong enough to deal with the roller coaster ride, they break down.

or quit taking the risk by quit making art......I have seen that faaaaaaaar more than breaking down. In my 30 years of teaching art I have only seen one break down but hundreds who just quit.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I have not seen this but will when I get the chance. It sounds interesting.

In a general sense though let me throw this in. The notion that a real artist benefits from being crazy is a notion from the Romantic period that is, IMO, nonsense. Sure some great artists were nuts but just like in the general population they are in a minority. Most of the great artists I have known were just hard working people-genius and specifically psychotic genius is overrated. I've known plenty of nuts who didn't have a creative bone in their body.
    I agree with Kirk. A relatively uneducated genius said, "Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration." Some gifted and creative people are driven to perspire. The photographer W. Eugene Smith is one example. What drives such people can be destructive. Most creative people I know just plug away at it. To be more creative than most is necessarily to be different in some respect. Some wannabee artists see that, but don't realize that being different is the result, not the cause, of greatness.

Yes, many artists do just quit. That is a sad reality.

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    Yes, many artists do just quit. That is a sad reality.
    It's not just artists. Many other people quit their jobs, quit their families, quit their faith, or just quit caring. Artists should no more be singled out for being misfits than postal workers for going postal.

David Schaller

One thing that came out in the film was how focussed and hardworking Francesca Woodman was, coming from a family of working artists. It was a very good film.

Dave

Kirk, if you ever get the chance watch the documentary "Stephen Fry: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive" and you'll see where the "crazy artist" notion comes from. Despite the debilitating effects of the depressive stage most of the people interviewed didn't want to be cured because they achieved so much when in their manic phase. The brain chemistry surrounding creativity involves higher than usual levels of dopamine, but too much dopamine appears to be a factor in some schizophrenia, so again the crazy artist thing isn't just a romantic notion, there are actual links between the two states.