Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Models for nudes?

Models for nudes?

Nude photography has always been a favorite of mine. Many of my favorite photographers have done extensive work with the female nude. I would eventually like to try nude photography but have no clue where to find willing subjects. Friends and family offer no possibility. Everyone I know is either very conservative about this subject, or just plain uncomfortable about themselves to be photographed in the nude. So, I am very curious as to how photographers, pro and amateur, find people ( I'm referring to women here) that are willing to model for a nude shooting. I read that Brandt used some women close to him, but he also paid many to sit for him.

Re: Models for nudes?

Modelmayhem

http://nettierharris.tumblr.com/ Nettie is the best, she'll teach you and after you shoot with her, everyone else will want to shoot with you for free.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I started with my wife, but after X years of marriage and X number of children we both lost interest. It's a shame because I still think she is far mor photographic than she does. Unfortuantely for me, after X years of marriage and X number of children, resources like ModelMayhem (or even NettieHarris) are out-of-the question.

I suppose it just depends on your comfort level with approaching women. Mine has always been quite high, so this was never a problem for me. When I see someone I'd like to photograph, I tell them so, and do my best to persuade them I'm not a creep. Others use modelmayhem, or similar, or even Craig's List, but I never have, so I can't comment on that approach. These days I photograph Julia almost exclusively, so I don't bother with approaching others. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I started with my wife, but after X years of marriage and X number of children we both lost interest. It's a shame because I still think she is far mor photographic than she does. Unfortuantely for me, after X years of marriage and X number of children, resources like ModelMayhem (or even NettieHarris) are out-of-the question.
    I am in the same boat pal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    I suppose it just depends on your comfort level with approaching women. Mine has always been quite high, so this was never a problem for me. When I see someone I'd like to photograph, I tell them so, and do my best to persuade them I'm not a creep. Others use modelmayhem, or similar, or even Craig's List, but I never have, so I can't comment on that approach. These days I photograph Julia almost exclusively, so I don't bother with approaching others. Good luck!
    The approach tactic is getting more difficult these days. Just saying hello and being polite is difficult at times.Back in the day when I would walk around with a 35mm doing street photography, people didn't seem so up tight. Strange days we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    The approach tactic is getting more difficult these days. Just saying hello and being polite is difficult at times.Back in the day when I would walk around with a 35mm doing street photography, people didn't seem so up tight. Strange days we live in.
    I haven't noticed a change. Maybe it's a regional thing? In any case, having similar, even if not nude work to show might go a long way towards persuading a prospective model you're serious, and not just out for a look, or worse.

I would suggest joining a proven model/photographer website, taking a glamour photography workshop, or attending a convention like Glamourcon. Even if you want to produce "fine art" type photography vs. glamour, glamour models these days can't be pigeonholed into any particuliar look, and are usually willing do do fine-art type nude shoots as well.

Modelmayhem.com or onemodelplace.com are probably the two best. Put up a portfolio of your photography showcasing the types of models you wish to work with and the type of work you wish to produce. You get what you show. If you've never produced nude shoots and therefore have nothing to show in your portfolio in this genre, just put up the best examples of model work you have thus far, and introduce yourself as a photographer who is expanding upon what he already has produced. You can then create casting calls and peruse other models' pages and send them messages inquiring about working together. Bear in mind you have to be patient. I've been shooting bikini/glamour/fitness since the 1980's and it took me years to work with the top models in those categories and get published credits. Also, there are many folks who join these sites who are not even remotely of model caliber and seem to think it's Myspace or Facebook. But if you are willing to put forth the time and effort there are some truly outstanding models to be found.

I don't know where you are located but Greg Price runs a very affordable weekly glamour photography workshop in NJ with a wide range of model types from curvy and voluptous to alt girl types. Arny Fretag and Dave Mecey from Playboy also run seminars called "Shoot the Centerfold" where you can shoot Playboy Plamates, learn lighting and posing techniques, and network with other photographers.

If you like the Playboy Playmate type look, Glamourcon is a convention of pin-up art and ex-Playboy Plamates selling merchandise. They are run in Chicago and LA. You can just show up, show models your book, and and ask to do shoots.

There are also many conventions where models show up and take out booths to sell glossy 8x10s, such as Chiller Expo in NJ, Fangoria in NYC, Comic Con in California.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    Nude photography has always been a favorite of mine. Many of my favorite photographers have done extensive work with the female nude. I would eventually like to try nude photography but have no clue where to find willing subjects. Friends and family offer no possibility. Everyone I know is either very conservative about this subject, or just plain uncomfortable about themselves to be photographed in the nude. So, I am very curious as to how photographers, pro and amateur, find people ( I'm referring to women here) that are willing to model for a nude shooting. I read that Brandt used some women close to him, but he also paid many to sit for him.

In addition to ModelMayhem or Craigslist, you can join up with other photographers interested in nude photography on Meetup.com (if there's an active group near you)