Thread: What would cause a "double image" ?

What would cause a "double image" ?

Greetings

On several sheets of film I am experiencing a double image, as though I intentionally made a double exposure, but just slightly out of registration. The attached image is a small section of a 4x5 sheet of film; a very long exposure (5 minutes) photographing bright streetlamps at night. The camera did not move during exposure, the holder was seated and locked in properly. The holders were loaded in a relatively dry, heated environment, and exposed at the beach where it was cold and humid, so I am thinking this difference in temperature and/or humidity made the film move slightly during the exposure?

I've been using a view camera since 1987 and have never experienced this. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: What would cause a "double image" ?

Oh, there was a thread about a problem just like this in similar circumstances.

What has happened is that your film has shifted in the holder during exposure. It can also pop and warp during exposure, too. When you get ready to expose the film, give the holder a tap from the bottom to shift it down. Then after you pull the darkslide, wait for a few minutes for the film to adjust to the temperature inside the camera. Then click the shutter.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    What has happened is that your film has shifted in the holder during exposure. It can also pop and warp during exposure, too. When you get ready to expose the film, give the holder a tap from the bottom to shift it down. Then after you pull the darkslide, wait for a few minutes for the film to adjust to the temperature inside the camera. Then click the shutter.
    I agree with Brian, I deal with this problem most of the year.
    Easy to overcome if you know what is causing it.

Thank you for that advice. I think I will incorporate the film holder tap from now as a regular part of procedure.

or tape it in the holder!