Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem Solving Advice Needed: Black spots on Efke film

Re: Problem Solving Advice Needed: Black spots on Efke film

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    I am using a 3x4 Graflex so unfortunately I am stuck with Efke, since there are no alternatives in that size, at least until the Ilford order.
    As your first test I'd cut down a few sheets of 4x5 FP4 Plus or Delta 100 and develop in the same run with the Efke, as Will suggests. I wouldn't want to cut film routinely either, but for your troubleshooting it will be the quickest way to determine whether the problem is in the film itself. I'd do it before the painstaking step-by-step unpacking of your processing - if the film is bad the rest will be a waste of your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Thank you for your advice. I will try again using only distilled water and possibly LFN instead of photoflo, if I can find it locally. I have never used a wash agent in my tanks, so don't think that is the cause. But will wash the tank with acid just in case. The Nikor instructions recommended nitric acid to clean the tank, so I will try that.

I am using a 3x4 Graflex so unfortunately I am stuck with Efke, since there are no alternatives in that size, at least until the Ilford order.
    If you use distilled water you shouldnt need photoflo or anything else. Would recommend trying nothing.

We've had the same issue and it was not due to our process, some type of manufacturing defect. Our workaround was to use the dust filter in PS, setting the threshold at such a large value that only the black dots were filtered. If you print this stuff analog you've got a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    As your first test I'd cut down a few sheets of 4x5 FP4 Plus or Delta 100 and develop in the same run with the Efke, as Will suggests...
    Yes, you are right of course. I will pull out the rotary cutter.

3/4" off each dimension of a 4x5 sheet of film. You should be able to measure once and use the same setting. I'm hoping the problem is not with the Efke as I'm also using 3 1/4 x 4 1/4. If it is, then I'll be chopping film, too.

I will second or third the water quality as a culprit.
    This is the reason for most spots on negatives, and it tends to happen in the final stages of processing.
    You can invest in some inexpensive filters, or buy a bottle of distilled water for final rinse with wetting agent.

In what kind of environment are you drying your film ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

My negatives hang on a line above my sink. The room isn't particularly dusty, and I have a HEPA filter running much of the time.

I always do a final rinse in distilled water, so I don't think that is the issue, and my so-called tap water is double filtered; particle filters only, no carbon. Anyhow I will cut down some FP4+ this afternoon, but probably won't be able to shoot, develop, and report back until next weekend. Thanks for all the advice!

If you don't already do so, try filling the sink with hot water, and let the water sit there, steaming up the room.
    Do this about 10-15 minutes before hanging up your film, the steam will take care of any particles in the air that could glom onto your film.

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    No No i have seen this before.... photoflo on the reel and in tank. Never ever use photoflo in your tank or reel ... you cant wash it off. The developer is foaming from residual photoflo... then i would use acid stop bath.... try rinsinsing tank and reel with acid stop... higher concentrate ... i used pool acid on my Jobo tanks .. it stoped the foaming right away..... also acid stop gets the film ready for the acid in the fixer. i use an non acid fixer with Efke with separate hardener. Also I have found Efke film does not like acid .... I never use tap water where i am at .. to much chlorine in it....

try it ... i am digging thru my old negs to find some examples of the same problem
    I at one stage had an issue like yours with some pan f 35mm negs, finally traced it to photoflow I now have a tank especialy for photoflow and use filtered water from a puratap setup, that appears the culprit in this case.time to do some tests with negs that are blank you will see the results pretty easily.