Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding a tall tripod

Need help finding a tall tripod

I am looking for a really tall tripod to hold up to 15 lbs. I would like one that is at least 7 ft tall or taller. It will need to handle being stood in water up to 6 ft deep. I don't need a Rolls-Royce quality just functionality.

Someone had suggested that I look at Majestic but I'm afraid I'll screw up the geared head sticking it under water.

Any model, brands etc would be appreciated!

www.timeandlight.com

Re: Need help finding a tall tripod

Google Bencher. I have heard that they have an adapter that allows you to mount a
    regular tripod head to a Majestic tripod.

funkadelic

I would be interested in a barrel/post adapter to 3/8" for using other heads on my Majestic tripod if anyone knows where to find such an adapter. The geared head is nice, but I agree with John. I wouldn't want it in water, especially not in his area.
    My old Bogen 3047 had all kinds of muck from Everglades and Loxahatchee trips when I lived in Florida.

John,
    For what it's worth, my old Bogen 3036 legs stood up to water pretty well. It uses the center post to get its height. It even spent time in the Indian River Lagoon and on various beaches and inlets from Sebastian to Key West. While washing it after use is important, the oxidized aluminum always annoyed me. No matter how much I tried to clean it, I always got the grey hands from handling it. If I was living in south Florida again, I'd consider wood offerings.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    I would be interested in a barrel/post adapter to 3/8" for using other heads on my Majestic tripod if anyone knows where to find such an adapter. The geared head is nice, but I agree with John. I wouldn't want it in water, especially not in his area.
    My old Bogen 3047 had all kinds of muck from Everglades and Loxahatchee trips when I lived in Florida.
    Contact Bencher. I have heard that they one.

Sorry! That should have said that I heard that they have one!

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Sorry! That should have said that I heard that they have one!
    I just called. They don't have one.
    On the bright side, I was able to score a 3/8" (part # 555) to replace the 1/4" screw I currently have on my 6x7" platform. Apparently, they only have a few of these 3/8" screws left and will not be making any more. If you need one, now is the time to get one.

That's too bad. I had heard a couple years ago that they had them. It seems like every time I turn around something else is no longer made!

I have an old Bogen 3046 with extension legs. It will put the top of the legs at about six feet, and with the center column extended it will be at seven feet and change. It will put the base of the tripod head at 7'-4", and if you use a tall head like the Bogen 3047, the camera platform will be at 7'-9". I just stood mine up and measured it.

The Bogen number for the extension legs is 3052, and they fit on the 3046 and 3051 tripods that had feet held in with twist collars. The 3046 and 3051 tripods legs are abundant and can often be had in banged-up condition for under a hundred bucks.

Cambridge (shudder!) lists them for $38, which is a deal if they really do have them. Otherwise, you'll have to dig for them.

For this application, they are ideal--these tripods can be hosed down and disassembled pretty easily.

Rick "don't forget to bring a ladder" Denney

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I will have to look for the Bogen.
    Any of you with experience with the Majestic, would you recommend the twin beam like the 4800 or the single legs? I have found several of each type reasonably priced.
    Thanks!
    www.timeandlight.com

John, Mine is single beam and thus very light weight while still very sturdy. Compare weights on the Bogens. I had for many years that broke my back without a camera attached so they can be quite heavy for any sort of trekking and about 18 inches shorter. Great tripods though. Finding the Majestic was what allowed me to sell the Bogen.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg