Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Backpacking Kardan Suoer Color

Re: Backpacking Kardan Suoer Color

Barry,
    I'm so sorry to hear about the burglary; having once had ALL of my equipment stolen, I can sympathize.
    At least you have insurance (which I didn't have at the time).
    I'd say don't give up on this camera yet; yes, a real field camera will easily fold into nothing, but you'll lose the flexibility of a monorail, and I think you might find that a regrettable trade-off.
    When you feel a little better, give it some more thought.

Landscape Addict

Its a heavy beast compared to my mates Tachihara 4x5 but I wouldnt trade it for the world... Especially not after seeing shots from his Tachihara with a 47/5.6 XL vs the shots from my camera with his 47mm... In his camera there is no avoiding getting the camera bed in the image... With mine I rack the lens right to the front of the rail and focus using the rear standard. The camera is nowhere to be seen in images, even vertical compositions using significant front fall.. I wouldnt go to a wooden camera unless it focused from the rear standard...The only ones I've seen that can focus from the rear are not folders and dont offer a significant drop in weight over my kardan.
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Barry,
    If you can, try out the Lowepro Roller x100, x200, or x300.
    While not a backpack per se, its inner case can be removed and used with back straps; it's also quite roomy and very, very well-made.
    I had a chance to try it out last week, and would have kept it if I really needed it.
    you can put the standards parallel to the rail, and I believe it would fit comfortably in either the x200 or the x300.
    Worth a shot, imo.
    Best of luck!

Thanks Ari. Another option would be to carry it flattened out in another Kelty P1. I was leaning toward this in the first place, but Bruce talked me into the other solution. There is room in the Kelty for several 5" high compartments like the two I already have, with the camera resting on top of them. Worth another thought.

I've also considered cutting the rail at the fully compressed length, allowing the camera to be carried in the set-up position. The trouble with that is the difficulty shaping an adapter piece to allow the two sections of rail to join, because of the complex rail profile. The adapter would be permanently fixed into the long portion and would neatly mate with the shorter rail and then locked into place by a pin. Sounds complicated, but it's do-able. I thought of buying a rail in the US and sending it to Grimes, who would surely do a great job of it, but I fear the cost would be more than the camera is worth.

Another option - if money was no option - would be to keep the JBL for home use (especially using the brass lens I have coming) and buying the Technikardan S that's currently available. I wish!

Thanks again,

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post

I've also considered cutting the rail at the fully compressed length, allowing the camera to be carried in the set-up position. The trouble with that is the difficulty shaping an adapter piece to allow the two sections of rail to join, because of the complex rail profile. The adapter would be permanently fixed into the long portion and would neatly mate with the shorter rail and then locked into place by a pin. Sounds complicated, but it's do-able. I thought of buying a rail in the US and sending it to Grimes, who would surely do a great job of it, but I fear the cost would be more than the camera is worth.
    I fear you would be right; in any case, it isn't worth it, I think.

The right case is out there, you might have to try them all before finding the right one.
    I go through a tortuous process when it comes to cases, and my wife hates those times as well , but in the end, I always find what I need.
    The Kardan is certainly worth finding a proper hiking case.
    So, stick with it!