Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Kardan Suoer Color

Re: Backpacking Kardan Suoer Color

I had Frank's old one for a while in 45. A VERY nice camera. i sort of thought that I could chop the rail then figure out some sort of cool carry system. I gave up.

Rails are very cheap at KEH. I think mine was $30. No big deal to cut it down but the lenght all depends on the lenses you use.

You might consider stepping back into the 1950s; well before the cool, expensive internal frame packs out there now.

Have you considered a packboard? It is just a frame with a waist belt and shoulder straps. You strap onto it the odd shaped item. The kardan could be carried in the traditional carry case just strapped to the board. Perhaps not the most comfortable or light set up but it would work well.

I would really think what sort of transport you will really do as opposed to what you "think" you will do.
    david

Thanks Joseph.

Glad to hear that the Sinar fits in the P1.
    The website indicates that the P2 is out of stock and he's not sure when(if) it'll be back.

I have a Sinar F1 and have been looking for this solution!

Steve and Frank, truth is the OP is a 68 year-old who still lives like he's 40 but is just realising his real age. He's in denial where quality is concerned, refusing to admit that he might have to compromise in order to survive.

What seemed a minor triviality suddenly came unstuck when the first attempt at packaging was completed. Ten minutes standing with the gear (below) slung around the neck resulted in numbness in the arm on that side, no doubt resulting from 40 lbs. (with tripod) pressing on major nerves and arteries in the neck/upper shoulder. Didn't bode well for a day's bushwalking! Thus my plea for ideas.

Thanks to all for your contributions. Looks like a proper backpack, with thoughtful dismantling and packing of the components, is needed.

Barry.

That's a nicely set up case as it is right now - why not just plop it into a baby - err, "jogging" stroller and be done with it? With the stroller - cart you could always toss in a keg or two of beer, you are in Australia aren't you?

jadphoto

Stoogley,

I bought both of my Redwings off the internet, Bruce didn't have what I wanted when I needed it, and then sent them to Bruce for the zipper modification. By the way, my 3100 has the waterproof zipper, the smaller one has the non-waterproof. I definitely prefer the later. Zips easier with less binding, and I use a rain cover anyway. Just a thought.

I found the 3100 on sale for $60 at REI. Now might be a good time to be looking for sales.

JD

I've thought of a jogging stroller - a good idea on formed tracks and pathways, but we have few of those here. Most places I seem to go are faint foot pads through the bush, virtually impossible to used anything wheeled on.

A strong point in favour of a buggy is being able to pack a couple of bottles of nice red . (Aussies used to swill a lot of beer, but nowadays we consume more wine than beer, which is as it should be )

Cheers, Barry.

1: Remove the front and rear standards from the rail. To do this remove the stop block at the end of the geared track on one end of the rail. Then slide the standards off.
    2: Put a large rubber band around the two standards which are now held together by the bellows.
    3: Put the standards in a bag.
    4: Attach the monorail to the tripod straps of your case.

OR
    1: Detach the bellows from either the front or the rear standard.
    2: Put a rubber band around the standard with the bellows attached.
    3: Rotate the front and rear standards so they are parallel to the monorail. That means you need to move the standards far enough apart so they are both parallel to the rail.
    4: Put the camera in an attache shaped case. Or a pack long enough to hold the folded camera. The lens and lensboard should be mounted on the standard without the bellows for transport.

Thanks, Bob, very helpful. I'm currently favouring something like that as the best solution. I was previously thinking of some sort of short rail; can you tell me if it's possible to buy these rails still, and whether it would be worthwhile cost-wise to cut one up for transporting? Cutting up a new rail is not a nice thought and I probably won't go there.

Also while you're at it can you tell me the year of my 6x9 Technika (82 996) and this Kardan JBL (8 016 103). I appreciate your tireless help to this forum.

Many thanks,

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    Thanks, Bob, very helpful. I'm currently favouring something like that as the best solution. I was previously thinking of some sort of short rail; can you tell me if it's possible to buy these rails still, and whether it would be worthwhile cost-wise to cut one up for transporting? Cutting up a new rail is not a nice thought and I probably won't go there.

Also while you're at it can you tell me the year of my 6x9 Technika (82 996) and this Kardan JBL (8 016 103). I appreciate your tireless help to this forum.

Many thanks,

Barry.
    The current rails have the same gear track as your camera but they have a different profile so yes, you can buy the current rail as a special order item from Marflex.

Check the serial number again, I don't have that one listed.

82996 is an early Technika IV from about1948.

Thanks, Bob. You wouldn't be surprised how nice the 6x9 Technika is for 1948 - it's beautiful!

I made a mistake with the serial number of the JBL. Looking at it with a good lens I see that it's 8 015 103.

Thanks again. Barry.