Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Kardan Suoer Color

Re: Backpacking Kardan Suoer Color

Before I spent $200 or more on some custom backpack solution, I'd consider a getting yet another camera that is more easily packable. For $200 you can almost find an entire camera!

Otherwise finding a shorter rail to move the standards onto would be the slickest solution but I imagine the Linhof rails are quite rare. Perhaps a piece of metric-sized Aluminum tubing from Europe would work for transport only? I don't know if there is a groove required.

I think those Kardan Super Colors were intended for traveling commercial photographers who still used hard cases, it was the ancestor to the Technikardan. I also think it was a fair bit less expensive than the Technika, whose front and back it shares (I guess that finely made folding bed/focusing track and rangefinder added a lot of value). Sort of an entry-level drug to the world of Linhof....

Hi- Sorry to be ignorant, but who is Bruce? I am interested in packing a 4x5 Kardan Color 45s. thanks.

http://www.photobackpacker.com = Bruce

Good Guy, Nice Stuff

Frank Petronio strikes again!

: - )

(somewhat inside joke, Frank will get it)
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

ha first I say spending $200 on a carry solution is silly then I recommend Photobackpacker ;-)

Do it all, twice!

Joseph,

Do you have the modified Redwing P1 or P2?

Stoog

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Dickerson View Post
    How long is the rail? Does Linhof make a short rail/extension for your camera.
    I'm carrying a Sinar F1 in one of Bruce's modified Kelty Redwings (3100). The camera sits in the bottom, in a cradle that Bruce designed, and the 12 inch rail sticks up, six inch extension rides in side pocket. Plenty of room. If you haven't already, you might investigate reducing the weight of the bits and pieces. My Sinar is about 7 pounds, I would think the Linhof is not too much more than that. But I'm not that familiar with the Linhof monorails.
    I was able to shed several pounds by carefully selecting my accessory items. I am a real believer in a monorail as a field camera. Although I admit that I no longer do any multi-day backpacking. Three or four miles from the van is about it for me.
    I like the modified Kelty so much I bought a second one (2400) and a Domke insert for my digital gear. Beats any other "Photo" pack I have ever owned.
    JD

jadphoto

I actually have two. An older Redwing 3100, which I believe is the same as the P1, or close. It's the one I use for the Sinar.

The other I bought recently and sent to Bruce for the zipper modification. It's a Redwing 44, which has a capacity of 2450cc if I remember correctly. It's a bit tight for the Sinar, although it will accommodate a mini kit, camera and a couple of lenses. but I haven't tried it yet. I bought it for my digital stuff and am really thrilled with it for that purpose.

Both are very comfortable, considerably more so than the Lowe Pro packs they replaced, Super Trekker and Mini Trekker respectively.

If you'd like I can shoot a couple of images of the packs...well...packed, so you can see how everything fits.

It sounds like Frank maybe works for the Department of Redundancy Department!

JD
    Last edited by Joseph Dickerson; 25-Dec-2011 at 11:07. Reason: add text

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Before I spent $200 or more on some custom backpack solution, I'd consider a getting yet another camera that is more easily packable. For $200 you can almost find an entire camera!

Otherwise finding a shorter rail to move the standards onto would be the slickest solution but I imagine the Linhof rails are quite rare. Perhaps a piece of metric-sized Aluminum tubing from Europe would work for transport only? I don't know if there is a groove required.

I think those Kardan Super Colors were intended for traveling commercial photographers who still used hard cases, it was the ancestor to the Technikardan. I also think it was a fair bit less expensive than the Technika, whose front and back it shares (I guess that finely made folding bed/focusing track and rangefinder added a lot of value). Sort of an entry-level drug to the world of Linhof....
    It's a different beastie to the Color, which used the Tech front and rear standards. Unlike the Color which did have a two-piece rail, the Super Color rail is one-piece, 19" long. In addition the rail has a machined track which would be difficult to duplicate, and which I doubt would be available as a stock extrusion. That's why I was considering looking for an old rail that I could cut down for transport purposes.

I'll persevere. This is a beautiful camera. Although a folding toothpick-wood camera would be easy to backpack, it wouldn't be as nice to use.

Barry.

I think Frank's having a little fun at our or at least the OP's expense, he knows the deal.

Truth is, the OP is a kind of variation of "I want a light, sturdy, and cheap tripod". You can have any two, but not all three.

Same with cameras, sooner or later you're going to have to decide what you can live with. If you HAVE to have custom carrying equipment to carry your gear comfortably, then your gear's too heavy (or the photographer is ) or you're just carrying too much stuff and you're not likely to actually carry it often and/or far. A lot of us have been there and done that.

And that's fine if the camera feel is the important thing versus possibly not making it to where you want.

All cameras have warts, and bigger cameras have bigger warts. If you traded for an Arca/Ebony/Chamonix/Canham you'd just have a different set of warts.

Cheers, Steve

I'm sorry, I thought it was the older one with the round monorail and Technika back. Funny because I once (or twice?) owned the same camera you have but Linhof's naming always throws me.

My friend David bought the last one I had and cut the rail down for use with 90mm lenses and a bag bellows. Unfortunately I don't think they ever sold a short rail and finding a spare one to sacrifice could be difficult - you might almost have to buy another used camera, perhaps a cheap one with a bad bellows?

(You could use the frames from the bad bellows to get a new bellows made by camerabellows.uk perhaps?)

Other than that they are very fine cameras. The problem is the strong "U" shaped standards make the camera pretty wide, and the one pc monorail is a hinderance.

Brian's joke was that I actually encourage people to buy these and here you are frustrated with having to pack it! You're supposed to have backed me up and tell everyone that is but a minor triviality ;-p

Perhaps the simplest way to go is simple to pop the plastic cover off one end of the rail, remove that little stopper screw if necessary, and walk the standards off the rail. Pack it disassembled and it will be a lot more compact. Get a ground glass protector and some Neoprene wraps for the standards and slip the 19" rails onto the side of the pack like a ski pole or water bottle.