Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Format vs Medium Format Digital

Re: Large Format vs Medium Format Digital

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph O'Neil View Post

My "computer guy" bascially told me if I went to this new Nikon D800 with that is rated at 36 meg, a new computer with a powerful enough processor woudl need a water cooled system for the CPU.

joe
    I think your computer guy is trying to sell you something. My recent base model iMac with 4 gigs of ram can easily handle my 256MB 8x10 scans. And it is tolerable with my 500MB scans.

Clay

I concur. My 4 year old MacPro handles 39Megapixel Phase One files just fine without any problems. The new iMacs are more powerful than what I am using.

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    I think your computer guy is trying to sell you something. My recent base model iMac with 4 gigs of ram can easily handle my 256MB 8x10 scans. And it is tolerable with my 500MB scans.

Very interesting work. I have found in my own tests that a 6X7 cm negative made with good Mamiya 7 optics equals or beats 4X5. Your tests seem to suggest that as well.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

One other thing to consider is how you have to upgrade your hardware when you go to bigger digital camera. For example, my D7000 - raw images at 16 meg convert to 80 to 90 meg TIF files.

You know what kind of processing power, hard drive space and the minor fortune you have to invest in SD cards? Not to mention, I had to upgrade the cooling fan on my new computer, the procesor was over heating.

My "computer guy" bascially told me if I went to this new Nikon D800 with that is rated at 36 meg, a new computer with a powerful enough processor woudl need a water cooled system for the CPU.

In the meantime, my DeVere 504 is still going great, and doesn't need upgrades.

Don't get me wrong, if enough money fell into my hands, yeah, i would be silly enough to get a new D800, but the bottom line is, when you upgrade your camera to "match" what LF film can do, you have to "upgrade" everything else along the line, and strickly from a business point of view, in today's economy, can such outlays of cold hard cash be justified?

joe
    I'm one of those computer guys. Fans fail when they get old (and clogged with dust). Chances are your computer is >2-3 years old for that to happen or you have an unusual dust problem.

You would want something newer for next years high end DSLRs. Needing it watercooled is a bit of hyperbole to put it nicely. A new computer with 6 processor cores and 16GB ram and a 64 bit OS can be built pretty inexpensively and will nicely put to shame most anything sold two years ago.

My quad-core 8gb ram PC can handle 250 MB scans just fine, but the speed difference shows when handling raw files from different cameras. It's a speed demon running batches of adjustments/conversion on 6MP raw files compared to slower and more intensive work dealing with the much larger 12MP files of higher bit-levels. With LF, you don't have a big volume to deal with, but it's easy to have a big volume of photos to process with a DSLR. I would want to upgrade it for a d800 as well, but it wouldn't be critical.

joe
    I work with scans of MF and LF films that are 200-500 mb on a two year old iMac without any big problem. More speed is always helpful but unless you are involved with production schedules processing a 500 mb file with a current generation iMac with 8-16 gb of RAM is no problem at all.

By contrast, a 36 mp file from a nikon D800 should be kid's play.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Agreed. I have a Win 7 workstation with 6gb of ram and I have no problem with 1gb 4x5 scans.

Great work; thanks for posting this! Very interesting. "if you are printing at 16x20 then your roll film will probably be OK to get nice crisp prints if scanned on a half decent scanner"...then I would assume (I know I'm not the brightest) that you could print larger if it's a straight negative>paper print?

One other thing to consider is how you have to upgrade your hardware when you go to bigger digital camera. For example, my D7000 - raw images at 16 meg convert to 80 to 90 meg TIF files.

You know what kind of processing power, hard drive space and the minor fortune you have to invest in SD cards? Not to mention, I had to upgrade the cooling fan on my new computer, the procesor was over heating.

In the meantime, my DeVere 504 is still going great, and doesn't need upgrades.

Don't get me wrong, if enough money fell into my hands, yeah, i would be silly enough to get a new D800, but the bottom line is, when you upgrade your camera to "match" what LF film can do, you have to "upgrade" everything else along the line, and strickly from a business point of view, in today's economy, can such outlays of cold hard cash be justified?

joe

I don't understand what you mean when you say 18 mpx raw files convert to 80 and 90 meg tiff files. Tiffs converted from raw from my 21 mpx Canon 1Ds MarkIII camera aren't anything like that size. Are you talking about stitching? Saving a file with a lot of layers after editing? Either I'm missing something (if so please let me know) or you have something in mind besides just converting a raw file to a tiff.

Upgrade hardware and everything else because you move to a bigger digital camera? I've been using a $1,000 or so Dell computer with 8 gigs of RAM for five years and a very similar HP computer for about five years before that. I didn't have to upgrade my computer or anything else when I went from a Nikon D100 camera with about 8 mpx IIRC to a Canon 5D with 12 mpx to the 1DsIII with 21. I've upgraded my printer, my external hard drives, and various other things over the years but not because I bought new cameras.

Water cooled CPU for a 36 mpx camera (that doesn't exist)? You need a new computer guy.

Minor fortune in SD cards? You've got to be kidding. An SD card costs maybe $20 - $50 depending on size and grade. And with it you can make thousands and thousands of photographs.

I'm not going to argue about quality of prints or cost or any other aspect of the digital vs film quarrels that pop up here so regularly. But frankly nothing in your message makes any sense at all to me based on my experience except the part about your Devere enlarger not needing an upgrade (though your wallet may need an upgrade to keep buying film for it).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I don't understand any of this!
    Can you see any difference between any of these in a 16x20/24 print?
    My answer to this is absolutely.

I visited a gallery recently where the photographer used a 8x10 tachihara extensively for color landscape photography.
    The prints were far and away better than anything I have seen from digital capture devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbender View Post
    My answer to this is absolutely.

I visited a gallery recently where the photographer used a 8x10 tachihara extensively for color landscape photography.
    The prints were far and away better than anything I have seen from digital capture devices.
    This is a pretty meaningless statement without telling us what images from what digital capture devices made by what photographers/printers you've seen.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.