Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark cloth and cleaning holders question

Dark cloth and cleaning holders question

What do you all recommending for the Dark cloth to focus with on 4x5?

Also, cleaning the holders. Some say air, others, just a nice brush. I'm reading Ansel Adams book the camera, and he says vacuum. thanks!

Re: Dark cloth and cleaning holders question

Home made is my preference. Simmons' Using The View Camera has instructions.
    Ansel is right---vacume. I have a small dedicated shop vac for photo stuff. They go on sale at the big box places every so often.
    Blowing or brushing dosen't get rid of dust, it only stirs it up to someday return and spoil your outing, so suck it up!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John, thanks. The Simmons book is ordered and should come soon.

One friend here uses a 2" camel hair brush, no good?

I have a Belkin mini vak (for I think computer keyboards), that's optimal?

Quote Originally Posted by kevs-2323668 View Post
    John, thanks. The Simmons book is ordered and should come soon.

One friend here uses a 2" camel hair brush, no good?

I have a Belkin mini vak (for I think computer keyboards), that's optimal?
    A brush will work, but I think your mini vac will work better. A brush only stirs up the stuff IMHO.
    A black sweatshirt or doubled black t-shirt can be used for a dark cloth if you don't want to wait.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

For a hood I used the BTZS hood for decades. http://www.viewcamerastore.com/servl...cts/Categories. They're light, compact, easy to carry and use.

To clean holders I use an anti-static brush. But more important than the cleaning system IMHO is how they're stored and used. I keep holders in a plastic zip-lock bag at all times except when they're actually in the camera or being loaded and unloaded and I think that's why I have very minimal dust issues.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

FWIW I used a mini-vac for several years until it finally gave up the ghost, then I replaced it with the shop-vac & micro attachments. Whats really nice about vacumes is that you can suck up stuff out of the loading and dark slide grooves as well as suck out anything thats loose in the light traps. Being velvet, the light traps are magnets for dust.

My favorite focus cloths are double, white side out and black side in. In my Texas summers, i sure don't want my head under a black cloth.

Lo these 55 years ago, when I started at Brooks, I was taught to rap the film holder sharply on the edges and then brush the trash away. Either rap sharply with the edge of the dark slide or the unpainted handle of the brush. Also, never use a brush with synthetic bristles, only natural bristles to prevent static electricity charges. You can tell if the film holder has been cleaned regularly by the dents on the edges.

Lynn

thanks Brian,
    John/ Lynn if you have links for the mini vac or cloths, please list. thanks!

Sears has a nice assortment of vacuums in their tool department. That's where I bought mine.

thanks Alan, do have a link? otherwise, I leave with a Hoover.

I got this for my computer keyboard long time ago, micky mouse. I would like a better version of it, if someone has a link thanks
    http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-MINIVAK.../dp/B00006HTNR