Page 35 of 62 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a scanner with a DSLR

Re: Making a New Modern Drum Scanner

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    We could throw a scanning drum through an Epson platen ala Apple's "1984" commercial.
    On December 21, LFF will introduce DIYS, and you'll see why 2012 won't be like 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by marfa boomboom tx View Post
    may provide bits of concept...
    Thanks for the info!

That's a much more useful Master's Thesis than I did. Mine was titled, "Anti-Realism and Scepticism: Crispin Wright on Imploding Descartes' Demon."
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Thanks for the info!

That's a much more useful Master's Thesis than I did. Mine was titled, "Anti-Realism and Scepticism: Crispin Wright on Imploding Descartes' Demon."
    You think that was useless? Mine was "Traffic Platoon Dispersion Modeling, Evaluating the Mechanism and the Empirical Support."

Back to topic: I'm fiddling with the Linos lens. I'm thinking, based on dimensions, this is a Rodagan D-2x, not the 1x, and is thus optimized at 1:2 rather than 1:1. The 1:1 version was about 8mm longer occording the Rodenstock's catalog. Diameter's bigger, too. And thinking about the CCD size in an Imacon, it would need to be optimized for less magnification than 1:1.

I'm just not feeling it with this lens. Maybe I just can't get it focused accurately (probable) but I'm just not seeing quite the resolution I saw with the Nikkor enlarging lens. I'm holding the lens up to a flat mounting surface, so maybe that's an issue, too. I need to mount it more carefully and devise a better focusing arrangement--one that will also really lock down the camera. But I'm pretty confident camera shake isn't an issue.

Have you tested it yet? My sensor pixel pitch might not be high enough, and the lack of live view might be really debilitating. The lens field seems flat enough and I'm not detecting any distortion, so maybe I just need to focus it better. At it's fixed f/5.6, focus is really critical compared to the f/11 I was using with the Nikkor.

Does the Imacon focus at 1:1 for roll film (I know it does not for 4x5)? It could--it's something like 3200 spi which is about 125 sensels/mm at 1:1.

Rick "who'll set this aside until you tell me it's worth the trouble to mount it" Denney

Rick, I'd like green lights on my way into town today.

No, I haven't played with the lens yet.

On the other hand, I made progress on the negative stage yesterday. Assuming I have a little bit of time today, I should get it completed. I'd really like to see how samples at 1:1 will stitch. I'm planning on using a 6x7 negative, and either my Nikkor 55mm or a Rodagon 80mm, not because they will be the ultimate in quality, but because they're ready to go.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

along the lines of, do more with software, this is a link to imagestack

http://code.google.com/p/imagestack/

which is used at Stanford in their frankenCamera course.

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2009/a...ra-090109.html

Recall, that Leaf began as a scanner : http://thedustylenscap.com/2012/02/0...story-of-leaf/

Digitizing is the same. What you choose makes the difference. Software doesn't know what the hell it's working on, only you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Rick, I'd like green lights on my way into town today.
    So would I.

Rick "who'll leave it at that" Denney

found off googlecode ..

' How to take a macro gigapan with a few pieces of wood

I like complicated things but you can explore the macro world with a few pieces of wood and a little bit of patience. Here is the 'simplest least useless thing' for Macro imaging "

These folks are making scans using very cheap materials, scrap wood etc. Their results are achieved using software from: http://code.google.com/p/nanogigapan/source/checkout

My summary: many are doing or have made cheap step and repeat photo systems. The hardware seems to be available from robotics and DIY electronic sites. The software is available as source for most of the pieces. What is missing is the "assembly"

---

That looks like great info. Thanks!

The best drum scanners (in perfect conditions) are in another league than any CCD scanner, professional or not.
    Then the point is the operator's skills (to create excellent profiles-calibration, to achieve a perfect workflow etc.).

I do drum scans for international artists and photographers.

Take a look:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/castors...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/castorscan