Page 19 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a scanner with a DSLR

Re: Making a New Modern Drum Scanner

As was previously suggested it might pay to use a collimated light source. I think the 2 lenses from my D2 might be overkill though.

Is there a reason this is in the Lounge? Seems to me this is a legitimate Digital Hardware topic.

Rick "thinking it bears on a couple of questions asked just today by people who would not have seen it in a search" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Is there a reason this is in the Lounge? Seems to me this is a legitimate Digital Hardware topic.

Rick "thinking it bears on a couple of questions asked just today by people who would not have seen it in a search" Denney
    So the guys at Luminous Landscape can't come over here and steal our ideas. Although we could probably release crazy idea #17 to the public without it compromising the operation.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

For those with a Nikon, this software looks interesting: http://www.controlmynikon.com/purchase.html

Has anyone used it?
    Peter
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I know nothing about stitching images but I find it hard to believe that density variations from frame to frame can't easily be compensated by existing software. Also alignment in areas of poor detail can be done by pin pricking the film in those areas randomly. If you don't like damaging your film use a separate clear sheet with pin pricks or tiny opaque spots that can be cloned out in PS later.

Seems clear that DSLR copy technique is highly feasible and likely considerably superior to existing Epson 750 scanner and maybe even a Nikon 5000 ED.

It boils down to mostly a mechanical engineering job depending on how sophisticated one wants to get. Possibly a nice custom business for someone younger than me.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

There is absolutely no need to damage the film in order to aid alignment... People have trouble stitching digital frames without much contrast (like big areas of sky) because digital files have extremely low noise. Film has grain and dust, both of which can serve as anchors. Dust in particular will be a great aid in stitching.

Wait till Frank sees the bill from the engineering department.

There's no reason the camera has to be above film. Just put it where the paper usually sits on your enlarger Now you should have a nice flat film holder and even lighting.

Genius! I'll have to rig some kind of camera holder to try that. I guess with b&w film you could change the contrast with filters too.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post

Cause I started the thread thinking you Einsteins would laugh at the idea. Of course building a cheap spinning drum scanner was a silly lounge-worthy diversion but now I think you are getting onto something pretty cool and semi-practical!

While I have zero ~good~ engineering input to offer, please keep running with it and hopefully keep it in the shared, open-source, home-brewed skunkworks vein!

Might be good to have two teams working concurrently and get a little competitive action going... this is the Mac team, Luminous can be Lisa.