Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a scanner with a DSLR

Re: Making a scanner with a DSLR

Struan, what Lefkowitz book?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Lester Lefkowitz, "The Manual of Close-up Photography"

On Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Close-u...dp/0817421300/

Here's and article on DSLR film scanning: http://www.thedambook.com/downloads/...ning_Krogh.pdf
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    Dan Fromm knows what he's talking about when it comes to photomacrography. I'm surprised he hadn't yet told us all to stop messing about and read the Lefkowitz book.
    Y'all are having too much fun to be bothered. If you look at Lefkowitz, you might also want to look at:

Gibson, H. Lou. Close-Up Photography and Photomacrography. 1970. Publication N-16. Eastman Kodak Co. Rochester, NY. 98+95+6 pp. The two sections were published separately as Kodak Publications N-12A and N-12B respectively. Republished in 1977 with changes and without the 6 page analytic supplement, which was published separately as Kodak Publication N-15. 1977 edition is ISBN 0-87985-206-2.

Gibson is very strong on lighting, exposure, and on what can and cannot be accomplished. His books, although relatively weak on getting the magnification with lenses made for modern SLR cameras, provide a very useful foundation for thinking about working at magnifications above 1:10 and especially above 1:1. Extensive bibliography.

H. Lou Gibson is one of the Englishmen that Kingslake brought to EKCo. He's best known for IR photography. His Photomacrography pamphlet is the most frightening photography book I've ever read.

Dan, thanks for reminding me. I see I have that 1977 Kodak publication which is quite good but with some weaknesses, as you point out.

Another useful Kodak publication was their "Photography Through the Microscope", ISBN 0-87985-019-1, 1974. It of course deals with high magnification and is pretty informative about some sophisticated techniques such as interference contrast and the Nomarski version of such.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Can any of you recommend a good lightbox for shooting negs with my 5D. My Bretford Acculight has hot spots....there must be something better out there and I don't have any local shops so I need to mail order.

Thanks,

Serge

You might try modifying your box a bit. For instance, you could get some white foam core. Make a flat-topped pyramid, with the bigger opening sized to fit over your light source. At the smaller end, put a piece of diffused plexiglas. You will lose light, of course, but you should be able to make a pretty even source.
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 27-Jul-2012 at 10:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    You might try modifying your box a bit. For instance, you could get some white foamcore. Make and inverted pyramid, with the bigger opening sized to fit over your light source. At the smaller end, put a piece of diffused plexiglas. You will lose light, of course, but you should be able to make a pretty even source.
    Thanks Peter I'll give it a shot

very interesting project :-) you guys think it would be possible to use an corexy table? http://corexy.com/theory.html dont know how to setup the steppers then
    cheers and thx

Quote Originally Posted by janosch simon View Post
    very interesting project :-) you guys think it would be possible to use an corexy table? http://corexy.com/theory.html dont know how to setup the steppers then
    cheers and thx
    That would take a lot of belt length, much more so than with other systems. That concerns me. Bottom line is we won't know until you try it : ). Could just work.