Page 45 of 62 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a scanner with a DSLR

Re: Making a scanner with a DSLR

Peter,

Great job!

When can we see some initial '1 photo' scans, compared to the drum scanner?

Thanks

I don't have a drum scanner.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Question: On the topic of collimated light sources, what about using a slide projector? The projection lens should certainly provide good collimation, and color correction filters could be mounted in 2x2 slides. I have never noticed anything resembling uneven illumination when lighting a screen with no slide in the slot. I even know where my projector is hiding at the moment.

Rick "curious" Denney
    Hey Rick, hadn't thought about that. The intensity is there and maybe the uniformity is pretty good. I will say that it is still a somewhat extended source owing to the diameter of the illumination source (a broad area reflector). So the dramatic reduction in scattered light that can be achieved using a real point will not be realized. OTOH the nice tone modulation found in slightly more diffuse sources can be very appealing. It'll clearly be useful to characterize the various types of light sources because I think there will be preferences depending on ones' replication objectives.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Peter

sorry, I though the 'Screen Cezanne' you mentioned in your blog, was yours?

Hey Peter, that's an interesting looking negative carrier. How does that work? Nice craftsmanship on your rig.

Quote Originally Posted by sraichur View Post
    Peter

sorry, I though the 'Screen Cezanne' you mentioned in your blog, was yours?
    No problem. Yes, I have a Screen Cezanne, but it is a professional pre-press flatbed. It has a ccd sensor, unlike a PMT sensor in a drum scanner.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Oh ok, I thought it was a drum scanner.

Anyway, your prototype looks great! can't wait to see some scans.

Thanks

joseph

Very good Peter, looks nicely joined and sturdy-
    Nicely finished too.

Must get around to photographing mine, and tuning it. It needs more work, mostly in evening out the light source. It's about three weeks old now, but I've been busy on other things...

My prototype is made out of poplar and hard maple, mainly because that is what I had on hand or could easily get. All of the camera support framing is 1.75" (actual dimension) square poplar lumber, although the two feet are made of 2" square lumber. All of the joints are notched and bolted.

The Velmex 4000 series linear slide is stainless steel, and it's bolted to a slab of hard maple. (The maple was the cutout for for the glass in the negative stage.) I machined a mounting block out of Fortal aluminum to go between the Velmex and the Kirk Arca-style clamp.

If you have a live view camera, something like the Velmex slide would probably not be needed. I don't have live view, though, and so I went with the slide. I'm going to make custom extension tubes for each of the lenses I want to try, as I decided not to use a macro bellows.

The negative stage starts with a slab of laminated hard maple. It was the cutout for a sink on a commercial shoot, and the construction guys were nice enough to let me have it. I cut out an opening on the maple slab for a 12" square, 1/2" thick piece of plate glass. This is the surface on which the negative carrier will slide. Currently I'm using a negative carrier from my Cezanne, but if this works out, I'll make some custom carriers. The Screen holder is a clam shell, with AN acrylic on both interior surfaces. If I make a carrier, it'll be anti-Newton on the bottom but glassless on top.

There are two steel reference pins for placing an ABS sheet mask on top of the glass. The ABS sheet is cut such that the whole negative, in this case a 6x7cm negative, will be covered by sliding the carrier in the opening of the ABS sheet. There's a sliding arm to help locate the carrier when a side of the carrier is not touching the edge of the cutout in the ABS sheet. I'll make a specific ABS sheet for each film format that I'll scan.

The feet of the negative stage are threaded steel pipe, about 1.25" in diameter. The negative stage weighs about 50 lbs. The camera support structure weighs more. They could all be bolted or clamped to a support table, but I'm only going to do that once everything else is worked out.
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 16-Feb-2012 at 17:55.

Stitching hasn't been too successful, so far, but I'm not an expert in it by any means.