Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's a Nice 65mm Lens?

Re: What's a Nice 65mm Lens?

I have tried Nikkor 65/4 Rodenstock 65/4.5 and Schneider 65/5,6. All of them perform great. I have the Rodenstock because it was the cheapest with the centerfilter included, and came factory mounted in a Sinar board. Mine is Sinaron branded.
    I my case, I need centerfilter. If you shot landscapes, you maybe do not need a centerfilter, and in that case I suggest you to buy the cheapest you find.

I realize the topic is regarding 65mm lenses. But for consideration I will suggest looking at the Schneider 58mm SA XL. I use this lens on a Toyo 45AII field camera and am really starting to enjoy it. I have done a few nature/outdoor photos and an indoor environmental-type portrait, and I like what I see. Focusing is not a problem with a loupe on the ground glass. I have used rise and tilt movements successfully.

If the Arca offers a bag bellows, this would be a great setup IMHO. The Toyo doesn't have a bag bellows option, so I use a standard pleated bellows.

There are a few of these lenses for sale on the auction site. They also come up now and then on this site and APUG.

I was in Copenhagen shooting last summer and bought a used Rodi 65mm f4.5 for about $650. Only inexpensive thing in Denmark. It's a killer lens.

Old thread I know

I was just given a Sinaron 65mm f4.5 and went ahead and mounted it on my Toyo 45A. I was certain I would not have the bellows to focus infinity but it barely does with the front standard backed all the way.
    It leaves me with almost no rise, is this the case for you Chassis?

The rodenstock/caltar 65 4.5 is an extremely impressive lens. The images just have something special IMHO. The Nikkor 65 f4 would be great if it is anything like my 90 f8 SW.

Ramiro,

Yes, I have very little movement capability with the 58mm lens, with a 12mm recessed lensboard on a Toyo 45AII. I work with it, and compose the image knowing this is how I need to use the lens. If you use a recessed lensboard with the 65mm Sinaron, you may have a bit more movement available to you.