Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 045N-2 leather cover question...

Question Chamonix 045N-2 leather cover question...

I just received a cover for the 045N-2 and was surprised to find a adhesive on the inside of the cover. It looks like it's meant to make the cover somewhat permanently affixed to the camera body. Why did the factory do that? The gluey substance is rather tacky and it feels like it may leave a little residue after I remove it (I haven't pealed the paper backing yet and stuck to camera).

Is anyone else seeing this?

Thanks...

Re: Chamonix 045N-2 leather cover question...

Mine is the same. After a quite bit of use, it's been slowly "peeling" off (the thin side parts of the cover). Doesn't really bother me though. if I wanted to take it off, a bit of goo-gone would remove the sticky stuff, though I'd be careful doing that and test a small area first....
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

I've been thinking about taking mine off. I like the leather cover, but I'd like it more if it didn't have the adhesive. Goo-Gone is too strong for leather; I read that a "crepe rubber eraser" is designed for removing adhesive from materials undergoing conservation, so I'm going to try that.

Agree. I like the cover but the adhesive is awful. And after a lot of use my cover no longer sticks properly and can get tangled on the tripod head when I am removing the camera. Annoying. I'm considering screwing mine onto the camera with a couple of shallow screws so it stops falling off all the time! Bit edgy about hitting my cam with a power drill though...

This thread has made me comfortable with a thick cloth wrap and no fancy leather thingy.

That adhesive was a mistake.

Yeah, Nando regretted installing the cover; his experience kept me from ordering it. Currently I'm using the wrap shipped with the camera, but at some point will get some custom inserts from Martilena on Etsy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    This thread has made me comfortable with a thick cloth wrap and no fancy leather thingy.

Mike.W

Quite. I use a cloth wrap but have the folding viewing shade fitted. This really protects the glass and freznel.

indeed. the double side tape will turn sticky in no time. i tried removing the whole sticky patch but wasn't too successful. I wonder what the thought behind the tape on the leather cover. maybe hugo can tell us.