Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One Photoshop CS5, Two Computers

One Photoshop CS5, Two Computers

Back in the ancient pre-internet days I used to run one copy on two of my computers. Nowadays, what is the best practice for switching between a laptop and desktop when using CS5? Also for Lightroom?

Do I really have to deactivate the software every time I switch? I assume there is no way I can run Photoshop at the same time on both, like if I am scanning on one and editing on the other?

And how do you think this will be in the future, as Adobe tries to move us towards an always up-to-date, subscription pay-as-you-go model? Are we always going to have to have an internet connection to use Photoshop?

Hmm I wonder who collects more data on us, Adobe or Google or Facebook? Bastards....

Thanks

Re: One Photoshop CS5, Two Computers

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Do I really have to deactivate the software every time I switch? I assume there is no way I can run Photoshop at the same time on both, like if I am scanning on one and editing on the other?

Thanks
    I have a standard "academic" version of CS5 Extended and can run it on two MAC computers. It is possible to buy licenses for running CS5 on more than two computers but I never checked the price.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Frank, I run CS5 on a desktop and a laptop. If you try to install on a third computer you will get a pop up message saying no can do. I learned this when replacing a laptop. I had to deactivate the old laptop CS5 before intalling on the new latop. Glad the old one still booted and ran long enough to do that

I'm with you Frank! Bastards! I won't say what I really think. And will never move beyond PS CS.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Richard M. Coda

I have Cs5.5 (and have had every version since CS)... the standard license is for one desktop and one laptop computer. Adobe does realize that people in this profession sometimes have to work remotely, or (in my case) when I try and take a vacation. You do not have to deactivate unless you want to install it on a 3rd computer, or if you replace a computer. I do not know about LR as I don't use it.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Richard, but they have to be both PC or Mac right?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

But can you run both computers with Photoshop running at the same time or not?

It would be nice to set one up for scanning, the other for retouching sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    But can you run both computers with Photoshop running at the same time or not?

It would be nice to set one up for scanning, the other for retouching sometimes.
    License can be activated on two computers, and both can be running at the same time. You can move it to another computer if you deactivate on one of your two first.

both computers must be the same type.. PC or Mac. the licenses will not transfer from mac to pc (or vice versa) without going thru adobe (which entails sending them a form saying you've removed the original license on all pc's or macs.. before they will send you a new license to run on the other architecture.

summary.. 2 pc's or 2 mac's at same time... but you can't mix

Thanks!

Lightroom (LR) will run on two computers regardless if both are PC or Mac. I run LR on my PC workstation and my Mac Pro laptop under the same license. They may allow for this because of LR's tethered shooting capabilities.
    Last edited by darr; 26-Dec-2011 at 08:19.