Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heidelberg Tango - Transport

Heidelberg Tango - Transport

Hi everyone,

I've been wondering..if I were to buy a Heidelberg Tango quite far away from my home (not overseas of course)..how hard would it be to get it there?

I'm not really talking about the transport on the road but rather the fact, that they won't just deliver it directly to my room.

So how can I get this 250 kilogramm beauty into my room I don't have a forklift btw

The good thing is that there would be two ways to approach this:

1. There is a large, straight stair in front of my place and the truck could drop the scanner off directly in front of it. It's about...15 steps maybe (and each five steps a small platform to take a break) From there it's just all the way flat into the room

2. It would be possible to leave out the stairs by dropping it off about 150m away from my home. There is a long concrete walkway with no slope but with two 90° turns and limited space to move and the turns are in a slight slope.

Which way would you choose? I would clearly go for #2

But how to move this machine over the short distance (assuming it's on the pallet)? And to move 250kg off the pallet and into the right position...it doesn't have rolls on it right? And I can't just shift around this weight on parquett floor.

Is there someone who can share his/her experience with transporting this or similar scanners?

Thanks in advance

Yours,
    Toby

Re: Heidelberg Tango - Transport

Perhaps you can borrow/rent a manual pallet jack to move it on the walkway. A pallet jack is what they use to move palleted stuff around the warehouse easily by hand. One person can move 2000 lbs. on level concrete easily with it. The truck driver will have one in his truck, but may not have time to help you wheel the scanner in. If it is crated, just rent an appliance dolly.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I had the chance to buy one of these two years ago for $1,500. No brainer, right? Well, finding help, a truck, and a place to put it became problematic. I already had one drum scanner and a wife with a scowl on her face.

I'd put planks on the stairs and slide it up on those. You don't want to shake or drop it more than necessary.

Tango-Primescans do have wheels in the base and should come a wheel kit that will bolt on the back of the scanner for moving on level ground. Going up and down stairs would be a different story. Refer to your documentation or contact a qualified technician/engineer such as Karl Hudson (karl@hudsongrafik.com) for assistance.

Good luck,
    Jim
    James (Jim) Beck
    www.jamesbeckdigital.com

Joshua Tree, California

I'd hire some pro movers to do the handling.

Before you start to consider improvising, ask around among the local movers - it may well be that they have the tools (or the resident heavyweight champions) to deal with the thing for fractions of the repair fee of a dropped scanner (let alone a injured back or leg).

I'd hire movers or art handlers. They're bonded and insured in case they eff up your equipment.

owner Hudson Grafik Services Karl Hudson's Avatar

Hi Toby,
    I'm the Karl that Jim Beck mentions further up in this thread. I know these scanners as well as anyone (and I'm still a long way from retirement).

It's paramount to lock the head and the counterweight when moving a Heidelberg Tango or Primescan. The front wheels are always attached and simply have to be lowered, using the screws located just above each one.

Never slide the machine on its feet. The feet are designed to handle a large vertical load but no lateral load. The feet must be raised all the way up for protection during moving. The rear wheels are mounted on an external bracket that mounts to the back. Contact me directly (off-forum at hudsongrafik.com) and I can send you a pdf that shows where all the transport locks go. I would go with option 2 as well using a small pallet under the scanner or a moving dolly with large wheels. The wheels on the scanner work best over short (and smooth distances).

I live in Kiel, Germany and I offer a tune-up / technical end-user training service for a flat rate in both Europe and the USA (second home in Atlanta). I've had over 20 people take me up on this offer so far and every single participant was very pleased they did it. No one on this Forum, however, has had the chance to. Why, you may ask? Because my offer was immediately deleted every time I posted it a year ago ...and the "administrator/moderator" never gave me a reason why.

My mission is not a money maker, it's to keep these fine machines from being scrapped when there is a problem simply due to the "fear" of Heidelberg parts and service. I am the alternative and I will erase your fear of this machine. I want my end-users to know their scanner inside and out, do their own service if they want to, and keep these beauties out of the scrap yard. No one builds a scanner like the Tango / Primescan anymore. It hurts when I hear of another one that was thrown away.

Tango / Primescan users on here should also join the Yahoo Group dedicated to that machine. It's a fantastic group with a lot of really useful information.

Sadly, I have ceased watching this Forum because of my irritating and negative experience one year ago and was simply alerted by another user to your request here today. I've become the "go-to guy" for these machines and I like helping out. I always give my best to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. So, if this message survives The Problem, then please contact me off-form. I'm easy enough to find online, but I won't be watching the LFP like I once did...haven't for over a year now.
    All the best from Kiel....Karl Hudson
    Karl Hudson
    Hudson Grafik Services, Inc.
    www.hudsongrafik.com

Hi everyone,

thanks a lot for all your answers!

I guess I'd go for option #2. Anyone can share some experience on how to put it on the pallet et off it again. I mean there is a 10cm step to go over..maybe use a ramp?

@Karl: Great! I'm going to contact you via mail asap. I guess I can write you in German right?

Thanks,
    Toby

owner Hudson Grafik Services Karl Hudson's Avatar

Hi Toby,
    Gar kein Problem...ich bin Amerikaner, aber ich kann auch Deutsch.
    Karl
    Karl Hudson
    Hudson Grafik Services, Inc.
    www.hudsongrafik.com