Thread: Shut away in an attic...

Shut away in an attic...

"A Lawyer Cracked a Hidden Room in His Office and Found a Cache of Historic Photography, Including a Famed Portrait of Susan B. Anthony"

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/hi...0%5BMORNING%5D

Re: Shut away in an attic...

Very interesting

And I have not seen anything in the local new station we watch about that

Thanks for posting this

If I found something valuable, the last thing I'd do is post about it on the internet.

Do we know for certain the images origin are LF or tiny format?

History of Photography: Retouching & Enlarging Makes Waves

https://photofocus.com/inspiration/h...g-makes-waves/
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Do we know for certain the images origin are LF or tiny format?
    The article does say the Susan B Anthony portrait is from a glass plate, now broken and that there are other glass plates in the collection

my wife suggested we stop by the auction house and see what is there - well, actually -she suggested I take her to her favorite breakfast spot which is a couple doors north of there and then go to the shop

well, just an update if anyone cares

the antique shop connected to the auction house finally reopened - they took the COVID time off to remodel and just opened on a limited basis

I got to spend a few minutes talking to the business owner. He was headed out for what he hoped was the last trip to collect items from the old studio - He says he still does not know all of what is there - things have been folded and stacked for a hundred years - brittle and sometimes stuck together

the auction has been moved from May/June to around August - he has museum curators and restoration people coming in to examine and advise, and is taking the "expert" advice on what to restore, how conserve and what to leave as is

he says they will run a Sotheby's class auction - that's a big goal for a small town estate auctioneer. Prior to the sale he will produce a printed catalog and only catalog purchasers will be allowed to attend.

he is quite fixated on the photos side of things - identifying the people in pictures and cleaning prints and negatives

when I asked about equipment he said he was having it reviewed by someone who still runs a historic skylight studio

there are no lenses, no stands and the one studio camera which he hasn't paid any attention to yet- the backgrounds and some props that are still there and show in some photo, those seemed important to him.. I guess research says the photographer had moved west and the reasonable assumption is that he took most of the equipment with him

not sure what there will be offered that is of interest to an actual photographer Vs historian

I care, keep posting

Please!
    Tin Can

Mark Osterman, now retired from the George Eastman Museum, is consulting on this (per his posts on FB). So it's safe to say that a truly knowledgable person is on the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I care, keep posting

Please!
    Input my name on the list to be notified when the catalog is out

i really do not expect any up dates until then- but i will post when I hear anything