Thread: Focusing Bellows - folding problem

Focusing Bellows - folding problem

I recently purchased a focusing bellows for my Ebony camera and have been wonderfully pleased with the ease of use. The more familiar I become with using the focusing bellows the better it seems. For those that are curious, this is the Robert White version of the bellows with the focusing eyepiece.

The only problem that I am running into is the pleats on the bellows. I usually extend the bellows almost fully to be able to easily focus into the corners of the ground glass. As such I am now finding that when I fold up the bellows some of the pleats seem to be not folding in correctly.

This requires that I remove the hood from the camera and use my hand inside to make sure the pleats all fall into the proper place. I am hoping that perhaps somebody with a history of using a bellows camera might suggest a method by which I might properly "break-in" my focsuing hood. Hopefully after a few weeks of performing such a procedure the hood would then by default fold in correctly.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards,

Jim, maybe the bellows is so new it hasn't developed a "memory" yet. I would leave it folded up quite tight with a strap around it for several weeks to see it that "sets" it. I might be all wrong, but just a thought.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

James - Although I don't have the focusing bellows you mention, try grasping the edges of both sides of the adjacent pleat and then pulling outward gently, and/or gently pressing in the depressed segment of the offending pleat with one finger. That sort of approach will usually allow the bellows to compress normally.

I've only had mine for a few days but so far I'm very pleased with it. I think I may finally have exorcised the darkcloth demon for good. I haven't noticed the problem you're encountering even though mine is very new. I'd suggest that you e mail Matt at Robert White explaining the problem and see what he suggests (as you probably know, Matt is the person who designed the RW viewing bellows). I asked him a question about mine and he responded within a few hours.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

What's this? A new gadget? I'll take two! I hate all darkcloths. Which cameras does it work with? Does it incorporate a loupe? Heading over to the White site now....
    John Hennessy

Thanks Ralph for the idea.

I have been gently working the bellows somewhat like you say each time I use it. Hopefully I guess that time will just improve the situation. Like most materials, if you repeat the same steps often enough and without deviation, eventually the material will acquire a memory.

I have wondered if moistening the materials (with water mist) and then letting it dry while properly folded might help.

I think I will just leave well enough alone and let Father Time cure the problem.

Kind Regards,