Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: More Kodak discontinuations

Re: More Kodak discontinuations

I've been in the audience when a film projector broke down a few times, and every time they stopped the show and sent people home with refunds. Those projectors are not easy to swap out.

It's sacrilege for me say this, but I prefer a digital projection to normal (non-scope) 35mm projection. A 35mm release print is a dupe from an internegative that was made from an interpositive that was made from the original negative. Or, more likely these days, the negative is scanned at 2k, messed with on the computer, printed to internegative, and then duped to a release print. In either case, a run of the mill digital 2k projector will produce a nicer image.

I still believe in film for "acquisition" (read: photography). If you look at the HBO show Boardwalk Empire, you can see a compelling case for shooting film even when the end result is compressed 720p. Film simply looks better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    This morning's remaining 8x10 TXP count:

Adorama - still 15 boxes
    B&H - down to 37 boxes
    Badger - 18 boxes (14 that were in the distribution pipeline apparently reached Jeff)
    Have a question for the people who are buying up the last 8x10 TXP, is a sheet of TXP really worth 60% more than a sheet of Ilford HP5 to you, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post
    Have a question for the people who are buying up the last 8x10 TXP, is TXP really worth 60% more that a sheet of Ilford HP5 to you, and why?

As much as I like TXP 320, it isn't worth twice the price. I find that I can make good 8x10 contact prints with most any film/developer combo that I use enough to know.
    I still have some of the old Tri-x sheet film from the 80s ( some ortho, even!), been frozen at about -5f all these years. I've never used the emulsion that replaced it in sheet film.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Jay,

Yes and no!

I can only speak as a small volume 8x10 shooter.
    5x7 and 120 are my preferred. I started to give up on
    Tri-x and TXP a while back. HP5 is a great film too and is my main film now.
    HP5 in pyro is great!

But TXP is still my favorite for portraits of men.
    And for gritty dirty street scenes. it is great in the studio with flash. It has it's own look.
    Worth the extra $$. For that use yes. For general shooting. No.

I bought the last boxes of 8x10 here. I bought all the 120 TXP I could get in Canada when that was cut off too.

I don't buy tri-x in 35mm anymore at all. It really is not a very good film anymore when compared to HP5.

Not too many years ago I was anti Ilford.
    Kodak forced me to realize just how good HP5 really is.
    :-(

PS: I am sure others will have a "sweet spot" story why they like TXP in their application, but that is my sweet spot use.
    I know TXP has a only until my stock runs out, then, it will history for me. I won't pay the increased special order prices for the stuff.

I bought some, not price shopping against ilford.

A year ago, TMY2 went from roughly $55/box on closeout at b&h, freestyle, etc.. Then was $62 at Canham, now is $77, which is a little steep for me. I would bet tri-x would do the same. Kodak makes good film, but it's a tough sell at $8/sheet for B&W. I'll put enough in the freezer so I can enjoy it at $5-6/sheet and when it's gone, probably Kodak will be gone, and I'll have started learning Ilford film better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post
    Have a question for the people who are buying up the last 8x10 TXP, is a sheet of TXP really worth 60% more than a sheet of Ilford HP5 to you, and why?...
    I already answered that question:

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...While I've filled a freezer with lots of 5x7 and 100 sheets of 8x10 320TXP, that's mostly because the emulsion's characteristic curve is such a good match to the thousands of 8x10 Azo sheets I stockpiled years ago. Also, the retouchable back coating completely eliminates any concern about Newton's rings when contact printing...
    In other words, for that purpose, yes.

I've got a question, before it's all discontinued. If anyone reading this thread uses Kodak color negative film, where do you get wet darkroom prints made? Every one of the few remaining shops I call just scans and does an inkjet print. Can't I mail a color negative anywhere for an old fashioned color print?

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I've got a question, before it's all discontinued. If anyone reading this thread uses Kodak color negative film, where do you get wet darkroom prints made? Every one of the few remaining shops I call just scans and does an inkjet print. Can't I mail a color negative anywhere for an old fashioned color print?
    There is only one shop left in Montreal to my knowledge.
    Being the only one left, he is actually very, very busy, his perseverance has paid off for him.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Edgar Praus 4photolab.com/ does real color prints

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Dude, you could always borrow one from me!
    haha true!