Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: More Kodak discontinuations

More Kodak discontinuations

Here's the latest round from Kodak. Of interest to the LF community, 8x10 320TXP and Ektar 100 go from being stock items to special orders only.

Drew Wiley

Re: More Kodak disconinuations

Well that's another low blow for me. But I've already started my freezer reserve of
    8X10 Ektar. Group orders thereafter are potenially dicey, however. They sure know how to accelerate their own demise, having just introduced the product not too long ago. I don't know of any real substitute for it. What's next? ALL 8x10 film?

Re: More Kodak discontinuations

I knew there was a reason for me switching to Ilford for B&W films several decades ago.

hacker extraordinaire

Wait; isn't TMY also special-order only in 8x10? So Kodak is offering no high-speed B&W film in 8x10?

Just checking.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Time to put in another order at Freestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    ...So Kodak is offering no high-speed B&W film in 8x10?...
    When existing stock of 320TXP is gone, Kodak will offer no black and white film of any kind as a stock item in 8x10.

What is the best temperature to store film?

Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    If it's standard-size Kodak film, packed under low relative humidity conditions in laminated vapor-seal envelopes, the lower the better. I keep mine in the freezer compartment of our main refrigerator-freezer at around 0 degrees F. If one has a dedicated freezer, even lower temperatures are good. Some have posted that theirs are set for -15 degrees F.

Note that, after cutting open a Kodak inner envelope, or when storing non-Kodak film which is delivered in unsealed black plastic inner bags, one should not place the film in a freezer. Instead, the box is best put in a zipper-locking plastic bag (with as much air squeezed out as possible) and stored in the refrigerator compartment of a frost-free refrigerator-freezer.

Whether removing cold-stored film from a freezer or refrigerator, be sure to let it warm up to room temperature before opening the package. Failure to do so will result in condensation on the film's surface, usually showing up as spots in images.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions View Post
    Freezing is not the best answer for keeping film. 40 degrees is best... but humidity control is most important.

If you want to keep film for longer than ten years, then I would consider freezing. When film is manufactured the emulsion has a relative humidity level standard that has to be maintained. Too low and the emulsion cracks and to high it rots and excepts gasses that interact with the emulsion. There is a whole list of gases that really are quite common, if you want a list email me. Basically everything in the kitchen and the garage will effect the emulsion if the emulsion humidity gets to high. So seal your film no matter how you store it. Then the type of base is also consideration, acetate film base, emulsion cracking can occur but not so much of a problem. Estar or polyestar based film, well have you ever developed a roll of film that looks like a spring that cannot be straitened? well that means too dry or low humidity. Freezing very much can change the humidity level of the emulsion of your film emulsion, which you really want to avoid.

this is from a post back in Feb 2011 I had some friends that were real geeks when it came to film dev, storage ect.... early in my photo career

http://www.mikepic.com
    http://www.facebook.com/photobymike

I figured it was odd that 8x10 Tri-x was a stocked item but 8x10 TMY2 wasn't. I've started using the 8x10 TMY2 from my canham order a year ago, and it's real nice stuff and I'm glad I have a bunch in my freezer.