Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U-Line antistatic bag advice

jadphoto

U-Line antistatic bag advice

Hi All,

Which U-line anti-static bags are best for 4x5 holders. Will the same bag(s) also hold Grafmatics? Anyone know if the holder/bag combo will fit in the new Photo Backpacker Cascade pouch?

Lastly, are there alternatives to purchasing a full carton (1,000 bags)?

I tried using regular zip lock type bags several years ago and had more dust issues than without. The bags apparently generated an amazing amount of static turning the holders into dust magnets.

If the only option is to purchase a carton would one or two of you like to split an order. I can't imagine using 1,000 bags in my lifetime (or what's left of it). I was looking at the 4 mil weight bags. Maybe the 2 mil bags would be adequate.

A carton (4mil bags) is $100-120 depending on the exact size.

As always any and all advice appreciated.

JD

Re: U-Line antistatic bag advice

I had the same issue looking for anti static bags for 8x10 holders. I no longer have a link for the source is used, but I searched for computer component anti static bags and found a seller (maybe on EBay) that sold in smaller quantities for a slightly higher cost.

I use pink 9x12 bags to hold 4x5 holders; 2-3 holders per bag, 2 usually. I could use smaller, but that's what I got a good deal on on Ebay. I have a lifetime supply now for <$100. I put them in and rotate them sideways in the bag, so the holders are on their side. You can see them bagged here: http://www.f64.nu/photo/tmp/lff/darkroom/_DSC1780.JPG

I have bigger ones for 8x10 and can fit 1-2 holders in lengthwise. I don't have a ruler to measure those handy.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Are you sure you need to order 1000? It looks to me like you only need to order 100, at U-line that is.

http://www.uline.com/BL_57/No-Print-...ags-Reclosable

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Thanks for that!

jadphoto

Thanks Richard for the link.

I couldn't find a way to order less than 1,000 (one carton) from U-line. I'll check closer.

I also found: staticbags.com. Sorry but I don't how to imbed a link, but they sell in quantities as small as 50.

As always, thanks everyone for the help.

JD

falth j

I bought some anti-static bags here in small lots, that worked well:

http://www.discountplasticbags.com/c...atic-Products/

I use a heavy weight plastic zip-lock bag. Since I started using these bags I have had very few problems with dust on my negs. The bags are 6"x9" and fit my newer Riteway holders with the plastic pulls. They have the added advantage in being able to hold my Grafmatics, albeit snuggly. They have a large mat white area that can be written on with a sharpie pen. I had to buy a large quantity of bags and I don't use them for more than two or three times.

I have only used them in the northeastern US and some in the south so I have not really experienced any real low humidity so can not testify as to there dustless use in the dryer climates.

No matter what bag you use you will not be able to completely eliminate dust on your film.

I happened across a few 12x15 anti-static bubble bags that I have been using for a long while -- time to replace them. They hold up to three 8x10 holders and offer some padding. I do not know if I will replace them with more bubble bags or the standard anti-static bag. The bubble bags do take up a little more space.

My bags were open-ended but tall enough to fold the top over. Fine for working in the damp, dust-free redwood forest. But the "Press to Close" bags would be better just about everywhere else. The 12x15 seems to be the best size for 8x10 holders.

For 4x5 holders, I suppose one would want to get the 6x8 bag. But it would be nice to see one before ordering a bunch. Quart ziplock bags are 7x8 (to the ziploc part), so the 6x8 bag should fit.. I would go with the 4 mil for field work, though I wonder how stiffer the 6 mil would be.

Would anything more than "anti-static" be over-kill (as in "Static Shielding Moisture Barrier")? Probably -- I noticed that the higher protective bags are more costly and are thinner.