Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large 4"x4" Bogen/Manfrotto Hexagonal Head

Large 4"x4" Bogen/Manfrotto Hexagonal Head

Has anyone experienced any problems with the large 4"x4" Bogen/Manfrotto hexagonal plate that Bogen used to sell? I'm thinking about using one of these on an 8x10 field (clamshell) camera. Camera weighs about 13lbs, and I don't want to take a chance that this plate might not be sturdy on a 3039 head with the hexagonal mount.

What are your experiences?

Re: Large 4"x4" Bogen/Manfrotto Hexagonal Head

I have that 4x4 plate (030L) on my Calumet C-1 8x10 (18 lbs?) and it is rock solid. Mounting the camera with plate attached can be a little tricky, but once it's locked down I've never had any problems.

I use an old Bogen 3258 tripod and 3057 head.

EDIT: see this discussion also: http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00363N

Thirteen pounds? That's not much.

More seriously, I've been tinkering with a "Baby Bertha" (long lens SLR that incorporates a 2x3 Graflex RB) for several years. With its longest lens (900/10 Apo Saphir) it weighs around 25 pounds. Baby has severe stability problems 'cos I'm being stubborn and not too bright and supporting it with just one tripod.

The just one tripod's head is a 3039 and its QR plate is not the source of Baby's problems. As Jonathan said, one has to take care that the QR plate is locked in, but this is true of all QR plates.

That said, not all of the hex plates for 3039 and 3047 heads offered on, e.g., eBay, were made by Manfrotto. I have a couple of ersatz ones that are slightly undersize and that won't lock down securely. Neil, make sure that Manfrotto made your hex plate(s).

Even older Bogen plates sometimes won't work, because they're too small. Sometime about the time they upgraded the 4047 heads and came out with the 3039 head, Bogen/Manfrotto changed their design.

Thanks for the information. I think I'll go ahead and purchase one of these for an 8x10 flatbed that I have.

I had that plate for my Toyo 810G, and it worked beautifully.

I have 4 of those. One on an 8x10 one on a 4x5 and the others I use for my Rolleiflex. It is a great base for the Rollei because all 4 feet sit on it.. making it very solid.
    I was of the impression they aren't made anymore. The last 2 I bought of ebay and had a hard time finding them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have 4 of those. One on an 8x10 one on a 4x5 and the others I use for my Rolleiflex. It is a great base for the Rollei because all 4 feet sit on it.. making it very solid.
    I was of the impression they aren't made anymore. The last 2 I bought of ebay and had a hard time finding them.
    You look in the wrong neighborhood. Look here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Qu...5/N/4232861044

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You look in the wrong neighborhood. Look here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Qu...5/N/4232861044
    None of the 4x4-inch platess there, Dan. They've been out of production for a while, and the "usual" neighborhoods (B&H Adorama...) have been picked over. I jumped on a couple of spares at a local camera store a while back. They're perfect on my 8x10 KMV, so I expect they'd be just what Neil wants.

Neil, ~ I wouldn't hike any distance with the camera on the tripod and over my shoulder, but the big Bogen plate always stayed very secure to the camera and the tripod head during shooting. I leave it tightly attached to my KMV as a semi-permanent fixture.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Mark, thanks for the correction. I looked, saw, and assumed incorrectly.

But B&H, who are usually reliable, say that they're in stock.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Maybe they found a hidden stash. Definitely worth a phone call to find out!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."