Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zone system with incidence meter?

Re: Zone system with incidence meter?

Incident metering is not restricted to simply matching normal film speed. Even in its most basic form it is not restricted to matching exposure to ISO (or 'factory') speed. It can be used to get a very good estimate of the scene or subject brightness range (what is also being called the 'contrast range' here). Minor White understood this - otherwise why would he have included it in the Zone System Manual. Like spot metering it needs to be used intelligently. Anyone with both types of meter, or a dual-purpose meter like the Sekonic L-508, L-758 etc, can do a comparison to see how incident metering can be used with the Zone System.

Best,
    Helen

On the related subject of your process check out the step by step process for getting film speed test and development test at Jerry Orabona's site. Look for the film speed test and development test. There are methodology for doing your testing if you do not have equipment to test film density. Suggest you pick a film/ developer combination and do not make any changes during the testing process

http://www.jerryo.com/teaching.htm
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

The late Phil Davis' Beyond the Zone System approach uses an incident meter to manage exposure in a calibrated system. If you are an experienced darkroom worker, you can calibrate your system in relatively short order. You also can make use of services provided by Fred Newman at The View Camera Store to simplify the process. The incident system works very well as long as you can read both the highlights and average shadows of the scene. Sometimes you have to fake it.

Peter Gomena

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    You can use a reflective meter with traditional Zone System. It just means getting close to the subject. After all, that's all a spotmeter does.
    A spot meter is a reflective meter.

I suspect the OP is already adequately confused by the various responses here, let's not confuse him or her any further.

To the OP: I don't use an incident meter so I don't know the answer to your question. But if Helen Bach says you can then you can.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

No I am not confused really. As I stated I am currently working through Bruce Barnbaum's book "the Art of Photography". From what I think I have learned...could you not take an incident reading knowing that will be an 18% gray, zone V value and then decide where in the shot you would like for zone V to be and make exposure adjustments from there? Is that what you are saying Helen?
    If you want the face of the subject, for example to be zone 6.5 or 7 then you would give 1.5-2 more stops of exposure?

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Bach View Post
    It can be used to get a very good estimate of the scene or subject brightness range (what is also being called the 'contrast range' here).
    Well, no. If you really do abuse an incident meter for subject brightness metering, it would amount to a very weird way of doing a reflective reading through a diffuser dome - i.e. reflective again, the clumsy and flawed way...

What incident can do is meter illumination contrast - that is the way incident meters are used in cinematography.

What Minor White effectively did is to create (or record - it probably was already around, given that many early Zone adopters had to make do with incident meters) a hybrid of illumination metering and the Zone system, where development and printing are matched to the illumination contrast (rather than the subject contrast as in AA's Zone system proper).

Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    If you want the face of the subject, for example to be zone 6.5 or 7 then you would give 1.5-2 more stops of exposure?
    The incident meter already "ignores" that the face of subject is lighter than average 18% gray. (It already placed everything where it should be for a normal treatment. The shadows are on Zone II or III, the highlights are on Zone VII or VIII, the subject face is on VI etc.). If you then give 1.5-2 stops more exposure you will effectively move the subject's face from where the incident meter put it (Zone VI) to Zone VII or VIII - you make it lighter than it would be if it was properly exposed.

Who knows, that might be what you want for a stylized rendition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    Well, no. If you really do abuse an incident meter for subject brightness metering, it would amount to a very weird way of doing a reflective reading through a diffuser dome - i.e. reflective again, the clumsy and flawed way...

What incident can do is meter illumination contrast - that is the way incident meters are used in cinematography.

What Minor White effectively did is to create (or record - it probably was already around, given that many early Zone adopters had to make do with incident meters) a hybrid of illumination metering and the Zone system, where development and printing are matched to the illumination contrast (rather than the subject contrast as in AA's Zone system proper).
    That's why I said 'estimate' the scene brightness range rather than 'measure'. I agree with what you say - it is using measurements of illumination difference* to estimate the scene brightness range, based on the reasonable assumption (intelligently applied) that real materials have a limited range of reflectivity. This is what both Minor White in the Zone System Manual and Phil Davis in Beyond the Zone System referred to. It works very well in practice.

* ie you take a reading in full illumination and one in shadow illumination. You need to judge how deep a shadow you wish to measure in - usually the deepest shadow lighting you want detail in. You need to be able to get in to the full illumination of the subject, and to imitate or have access to the shadow illumination. This gives you the difference in illumination. You can then make an assumption, which you can revise based on experience, that the scene brightness range goes from about 3 stops over the full illumination reading (ie one stop from 12% to 24%; another from 24% to 48%, and the third from 48% to 96% reflectivity) to about 2 or 2-1/2 stops under the shadow illumination reading (ie one stop from 12% to 6%, and another down to 3% reflectivity). Therefore the SBR is likely to be about 5 stops more than the difference in illumination, and the metered shadow exposure is the one to use if you are exposing for the shadows, having calibrated. (Apologies for the very brief explanation)

Best,
    Helen

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    Zone matches development and printing to the contrast range of the scenery.
    You still have to first expose the film to give a useful shadow detail.

A parable.

Many moons ago (1980's) I read everything I could get my hands on on the subject of the Zone system of exposure. I was somewhat discouraged until a coworker (at a photo lab churning out custom prints of weddings) suggested I read Fred Picker's Zone VI Workshop book.
    The Zone System was demystified!