Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuji FP-100C45 for proofing Astia ... And contemporary proofing itself

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Fuji FP-100C45 for proofing Astia ... And contemporary proofing itself

Over the next while I'll be working alongside someone who would benefit from some instant proofs. Happily she is comfortable with the reversed image on the ground glass -- although a binocular hood has just arrived to make things easier -- but given the delays associated with overseas processing it would be best if she could have something to take away until the transparencies arrive back. The project is architectural, generally exteriors, mostly high contrast, and we'll be using Astia.

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the qualities of Fuji FP-100C45 -- saturation, range, tonality and the like -- and how it might compare with Astia. I'm aware that there has been some discussion of the possible disappearance of this film[*] but I believe it would be well worth obtaining, together with a holder, for this project alone. It also seems that Badger still holds both, although how much I'm yet to confirm:

Fuji FP-100C45 Professional Color Instant 4X5 Film

Fuji Instant Film 4X5 Pack Holder PA-45

I'd also be curious to know how people are currently approaching the issue of proofing with clients -- and if possible I'd like to hear from people who are *still* using film on commissions. (I know that this *is* still happening, especially with clients that are planning long term, are concentrating just on the quality of the imaging, and who don't care how one's images are made.)

Kind regards,

Richard

[*] And please say if you have definite evidence that FP-100C45 *will* be discontinued -- I'm hoping that no evidence can be provided but will have to grudgingly accept it if it is
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

Re: Fuji FP-100C45 for proofing Astia ... And contemporary proofing itself

Fuji still has large stocks of FP-100C45 and it can be kept in a fridge, stored flat. Badger has 4 boxes in stock and B&H has 447 boxes in stock, according to their websites. All I have in terms of evidence of the dismantling of the production line is the word of a Fuji film rep. We use quite a lot of it, and can't always get the quantities we need off the shelf in New York, so we hold a stock of 100 boxes - we started this before the discontinuance was confirmed to me.

We use it for proofing for E100G, but it is used mostly for discussion on composition, lighting and then for page mockups rather than primarily exposure. The final exposure is judged using the instant prints as a guide only, not for a definitive exposure combination - apart from anything else, the dynamic range of the E100G is greater than that of the instant. The E100G is pushed about half a stop to increase the contrast slightly (continuing the idea that the chrome has to look stunning when the client puts it on a lightbox - how strange).

Best,
    Helen

I have a holder for 4x5 FP100C you can have for the postage. I only use the smaller version because its cheaper. I have a wall full of the beautiful little jems. If you overexpose it you get a red cast in the highlights which disappears after a month or so on the wall. For a beginner, it is perfect, you just go out and have fun. The image area is slightly smaller than 4x5.

Hello David,

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    I have a holder for 4x5 FP100C you can have for the postage. I only use the smaller version because its cheaper. I have a wall full of the beautiful little jems. If you overexpose it you get a red cast in the highlights which disappears after a month or so on the wall. For a beginner, it is perfect, you just go out and have fun. The image area is slightly smaller than 4x5.
    You know it always surprises just how good people around here are to each other, when we occasionally take a break from all our various disagreements Yes, this is very kind of you and I'll certainly take you up on it, though please do be a little more reasonable and let me add something more than postage. I think you may have it already but here is my address:

Littledene, 70 Bay Road, Oxford 7430, North Canterbury, New Zealand

Well that simplifies things, now all I've got to order is film -- I'll have to put out my begging cap more often

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney

No worries then.

Hi Richard,

I assisted many, many different photogs during my apprenticeship. In my experience, fp100c (in any format), is a good indicator of general exposure and accurately rated at 100ASA. Having said that, it does blow out highlights, esp in outdoor (i.e. High contrast) scenes. In some ways this can be a good safety device: if your highlights are on the print, they'll definitely be on the film. Even if they are faint, they will be there to some extent... So expose for the mids and even if you push half a stop (which most portrait/fashion shooters do to 'clean up' the skintones), you'll be fine.

Obviously if the highlights are key, (skies in landscapes) you'll be using a grad filter.
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

You might as well get into using the smaller 3x4 Fuji 100C since it is ~probably~ the only film they're going to make long term, because it has the most applications and customers (including many outside of photography)... at least have it tested and ready for the day you run out of your full-size 4x5 stockpile.

Thanks to everyone for their help and thoughts. I haven't used instant since in my teens back in the '70s. Land Cameras were just the best, just wonderful ... so I'm really looking forward to having a -- last? -- go again

Kind regards,

Richard
    Richard Mahoney

It should be there today or tomorrow but you will have to pay the postage to get it out of jail.

I use the Fuji instant film for proofing. One thing to watch for, is that development times depend on temperature, so it's helpful to have a thermometer (I use a small keychain thermometer attached to the camera case). Below 50 degrees fahrenheit the developing jell solidifies too much and the rollers can't spread it evenly across the photo, so if it's too cold where you're working the Fuji isn't going to work too well. Within its working temperature range the colors are just wonderful, the exposure latitude is smaller than slide film, and the print is usually not terribly sharp (sharp enough for viewing, but not really for scanning and making enlargements), and the color of the print is affected by how closely the development times match the recommendations for the ambient temperature.