Thread: hp5 plus processing question

hp5 plus processing question

I managed to find some HP5 Plus and am thinking of developing it in Rodinal (1:100). I'm aware that Rodinal tend to loose some speed, so what E.I. is ideal for this combo? Also can anyone suggest developing time (tray process) as a starting point? I intend to agitate for first minute, and thereafter 10 sec. every 3 minute. Thanks.

Don't know the answer to your question, but in a tray agitation should be constant, not once every three minutes.

In general with Rodinal you lose about 2/3 of a stop. So if you choose HPF+ for speed, Rodinal would not be he best pick. By adding Sodium Sulfite you can regain some speed. An informative site is Chris Johnson's website, hidden in his zone system section look up "fun with Film" by his wife Iris Davis.

Hi Aaron,

I tried Hp5+ in 8x10 using Rodinal 1:50 a while back . I got an EI of about 160 and the processing time was somewhere in the vicinity of 18- 20 minutes @ 20 degrees. This was by shuffling through the stack once every minute. I dont think I would want to try rodinal 1:100 with this film, it seems to lack midtone punch even at 1:50. ID-11 1:1 or Pyrocat HD would be my preferences with this film, I would rate it at 200 asa. Rodinal 1:100 does work beautifully with apx 100 however...

Thanks to Michael & Hans for the reply. Really appreciate the info offered by Matthew. Perhaps I'll try ID11/D76. Thanks.

I have no direct experience with this film/developer combo. But a good friend of mine was using HP5+ in 8x10 and developing in Rodinal. Working that way he got what I consider harsh gradation, not the smoothness he was looking for. After several years of trying, he has gone to a pyro developer and Azo paper a la Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee; he likes his prints better now (and so do I). Perhaps Rodinal works best with slower films, or with Agfa films.

Thanks Mark. Seems to confirm that Rodinal isn't a good choice after all. No wonder so little information is available for HP5+/Rodinal combo.

I should add that TriX and Rodinal has been popular for years, Bill Pierce used it ages ago. A great "look", and Na.Sulfite was added if speed appeared to be an issue.

Rodinal in higher dilution (1:75-1:100) is my favourite combo with FP4+. Beautiful tonality and very very sharp. I use it at 24C to shorten the dev.time to about 10-12 minutes.

Thanks Hans. Your latest information would come in handy. Coincidentally, I'm making some test on FP4+/Rodinal 1:100. I'm getting around 14.30 min. at 24C with minimum agitation. Thanks again.