Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Field Camera Recommendations

Re: Field Camera Recommendations

Badger Graphic appears to be carrying a new model from Shen Hoa that looks interesting. I've never seen nor used one. But, it looks intriguing.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=2766

Check the stats. Bellows goes from 45mm to 390mm. So, it can handle a 360mm lens, at least as far as the bellows is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Badger Graphic appears to be carrying a new model from Shen Hoa that looks interesting. I've never seen nor used one. But, it looks intriguing.

Check the stats. Bellows goes from 45mm to 390mm. So, it can handle a 360mm lens, at least as far as the bellows is concerned.
    Not that new; it's been around a while. I think that one is basically a clone of the Chamonix.

I've been following these threads because I'd like to, pretty soon, replace my old Tech III with something a bit lighter but, mostly, a lot less banged up and with fewer broken bits to work around. I find the number of models of Shen Hao pretty bewildering.

Quote Originally Posted by 1750Shooter View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input. I probably should have mentioned I have a Crown Graphic & a Super Speed Graphic, both of which I love, but feel I am limited by the lack of most movements. I wanted to step up from them. I've been looking at used Linhofs - any thoughts? Thanks again.
    Do you know about the "virtually hidden" shift and swing movements on the front standard of the Super Graphic. These give the Super front movements of rise, fall (using the drop bed), tilt (forward and back with a minor mod), side shift both ways from center and swing of the front standards. This leaves of course the lack of rear tilt, but there is a mod which allows rear tilt, because the bellow goes through the body and mounts to the back. Hinging the back at the bottom can achieve rear tilt.

I've got another Super Graphic in a machine shop.... lightening the body and maximizing movements.

I was moving toward the Toyo 45A, AII, and AX which I really like, but they are rather pricey.

So, I'm still intent on squeezing all I can out of the many parts, and parts Super Graphics that are available for low prices. The Super Graphic I am currently finishing will have nearly all the front movements of a Toyo Field, be lighter and be strictly GG viewing. ALL of the rangefinder parts and electronics are stripped out. I'll be in it about $200 from acquisition to completion.

One thing that often gets overlooked but is very convenient and also goes towards making a smaller overall package is the ability to fold a folder up with a lens attached. I believe that Shen-Haos, Chamonixs, Toyos, and most others do not allow this, while the Linhofs, Wistas, and Graphics allow a moderate 135-150mm lens in a Copal 0 size to be attached. If the idea is to go out knocking around, the folder that protects the lens is pretty nice.

The next post will gripe that the right lens is never mounted ;-)

As it was said here, landscapes don't require all that movements.

So, since 4x5" is not my number one format, I've decided to use the lightest of the 4x5" field cameras, the Toyo CF. It handles the Nikkor M300 with more rigidity than many wood 4x5s, weights only a bit more than the Toho, folds with the Fujinon 135 mounted and don't break your bank.
    Yes, it's not built to last, but its rigidity is sufficient for field work

I prefer using a Toyo AX or ARII to using a Linhof field camera. I like the controls better. The Linhofs do have more extension, and the newer ones work better with super wides, but I have no problem using 90-300mm lenses on my Toyo, which is good enough for me.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Here is another interesting one from Shen Hao.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=3420

A 360 with only 390mm of bellows extension is a no go unless

A0 you only shoot subjects at or near infinity,

B) you don't mind pulling the bellows to where it is tight and pull tension on your standards.

I dont go less than 1.5x of FL to bellows for longest lens, many use 1.3X as the limit.

So 390/1.3= 300 mm max recommended

bob

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    Do you know about the "virtually hidden" shift and swing movements on the front standard of the Super Graphic. These give the Super front movements of rise, fall (using the drop bed), tilt (forward and back with a minor mod), side shift both ways from center and swing of the front standards. This leaves of course the lack of rear tilt, but there is a mod which allows rear tilt, because the bellow goes through the body and mounts to the back. Hinging the back at the bottom can achieve rear tilt.

I've got another Super Graphic in a machine shop.... lightening the body and maximizing movements.

I was moving toward the Toyo 45A, AII, and AX which I really like, but they are rather pricey.

So, I'm still intent on squeezing all I can out of the many parts, and parts Super Graphics that are available for low prices. The Super Graphic I am currently finishing will have nearly all the front movements of a Toyo Field, be lighter and be strictly GG viewing. ALL of the rangefinder parts and electronics are stripped out. I'll be in it about $200 from acquisition to completion.
    I get so sad when I see graphics stripped of their RFs. I have a Super Graphic myself, and I was just wondering as well, why if the OP is shooting landscapes he finds the SG's movements lacking. 15 deg. tilt, both directions, 25 deg. swing, both directions, about an inch and an eighth of rise, 15 deg. bed drop, and 3/4" shift on the front standard.

I use my SG as a handheld with Instant and as a view camera. I think it's a wonderful, inexpensive field camera, and it's stone-axe tough too.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know