Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Camera Recommendations

Re: Field Camera Recommendations

If lightweight is your goal, I can share what I've done for a walk about camera.

I normally use metal, ie. Sinar F & P, and a Calumet C-1. But for hiking I use a N-2 Chamonix with an older 135 Fuji W (seiko varient-tiny tiny) and a Fuji 240 A. In a rucksack, I can load camera, lenses, holders, dark cloth (black magic), filters and be good to go at around 15-16 lbs. i can add a 90 to the mix and add a pound or so. A light carbon tripod finishes the kit. After what I carried before it feel like a feather.

The Fuji 240, might break the bank for you, but it is light, sharp and will cover 8x10. Start with one lens and add as funds become available. Using a one lens kit will make you a better photographer anyway as you start in LF.

bob

A 300mm lens will be hard to use on the light wooden cameras.
    Part of the problem is the weight of the lens. A nikkor-m, fujinon-c, g-claron, artar or ronar will be ok. Big plasmats like symmar, sironar, etc are quite heavy.

Another problem is the bellows extention. Some will barely allow infinity focus, and not really closer.
    This includes the tachihara, wista, ikeda anba, etc. (a 240mm lens is much more reasonable)
    The shen-hao has 340mm-390mm depending on the model. I think the chamonix is about the same.
    The Zone VI (early model), Deardorff, and Wisner are triple-extention cameras with much longer bellows. I think the Canhams have long draw as well.

The Linhofs are good with long lenses as well.

Also, don't discount the rail cameras. Some are fairly lightweight and most much sturdier than wooden cameras. You may think they would be harder to setup. But if you have ever used one of the wooden field cameras (You have to unfold them like a puzzle-box.), you will know the difference is negligible.

I think the Chamonix is the best cheap camera, otherwise I would spend my money on a Canham. They are incredible cameras, not cheap though, and Keith is a heck of a nice guy.

One dealbreaker for me with the less expensive cameras is a short bellows draw as Lightbender mentioned. If you want to use a longer lens or do any macro work take a close look at this before you buy.

Decide first on the lenses which you wish to use and then decide on the camera. This will quickly narrow things down for you.

The lenses you plan on using will dictate the amount of bellows draw you need for long lenses and the possible necessity of a bag bellows for short lenses.

I suggest the Toyo 45AII. It's weighs about 6 lbs., which for me is manageable. I did a couple 2-ish mile hikes in Washington and Oregon last weekend, with the camera and an aluminum tripod, and it was fine. The 45AII has all typical movements, folds nicely, is well made and makes great images.

Hi , I have used Shen hao ,Tachihara and Chamonix gets my vote goes to the Chamonix, Great backpack camera and well made , Put a Fujinon 240A on your shopping list as well.
    Great lightweight lens that will cover 8x10 if needed . Regards Gary

Foamer

I've owned Shen Hao, and now have Chamonix 45N-1. Both are great for the money. I've used a Rodenstock Geronar 300mm on both with no problem. Chamonix can take an add-on extension for longer lenses.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I just want to give you something else to think about. You said that you want a 4x5 for less than $1,500.00. I purchased my used Wehman 8x10 field camera with extras for $1,500.00 plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward (Halifax,NS) View Post
    When I have the cash I am going with one of these two. There are youtube videos showing setup and movements for both of them.

Chamonix 045N-2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEJ0GMWJk-Y

Shen Hao TZ45-IIB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6M4BWxwAp0
    I had the Shen-Hao, and now same in 5x7. Great cameras.

Stefan

I have Tachihara 4x5. It is probably one of the lightest cameras. It will manage to focus 300mm lens to infinity and a little bit closer, but truth to be told - at the full extension the stability of the camera lacks a bit. 240 mm lens would be a better match (I use Fuji 240/9 A - no problem there). Lenses wider than 90mm can be used, but will allow for very little movement (though mostly enough for landscape - you will not get much rise because of the bellows being compressed so much).

I know you did not mention that you plan to use wide lenses, but should that need arise later, it would be beneficial for you if the camera can accept wide angle (bag) bellows. Just a thought.
    Matus