Thread: Polaroid 545 Film Holder/Current Fuji Instant Film

Picture Snappin' Fool Black Lightning's Avatar

Polaroid 545 Film Holder/Current Fuji Instant Film

During my recent re-entry into large format photography I found a Polaroid 545 film holder which I forget I even had and I cant for the life of me remember how I got it. At first I was really excited about the find but I soon found out that the film designed for this holder is no longer available. I have never shot instant film except for an old Polaroid Land camera I found on a scrap heap over 25 years ago (and I still have it).

I am not interested in spending over $200 on a contemporary holder for the current Fuji instant films which could very well become obsolete before we know it. So far I have gotten by just fine in LF without instant film. Instant film is something I want to dabble in.

Has anybody devised a way to use Fuji instant film in the Polaroid film holder? I expect that I would have to (in the dark room) separate the sheets and load them into individual light-tight envelopes and then use the sheets much the same way the recently obsolesced Fuji Quickloads were handled. This is just a thought of mine. I have not yet handled any of the modern Fuji instant film and I am assuming that it works the same way as other Instant film I have used does; little packet of chemicals at one end which is squeezed out and spread across the film as the film is removed from the camera or film holder.

Also: I recall hearing about some sort of instant film in the past which also made a negative along with the instant print. Does anybody else here know more about it? Do the current Fuji instant films do that?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Polaroid 545 Film Holder/Current Fuji Instant Film

The Fuji 4x5 instant film can only be used with either the Fuji holder, or the Polaroid 550 holder.

As for the Fuji film, it isn't made to have a recoverable negative. But that doesn't mean that the negative can't be recovered. It's more of a stunt, really, but it can be done.
    1: Shoot the film and let it develop normally.
    2: Peel off the print. Nice print!
    3: The plastic backing is the negative. You'll need to remove the extraneous bits with scissors.
    4: Tape the negative to a clean sheet of glass, developed side down.
    5: Brush bleach onto the back, and brush it around to get the black backing goo off.
    6: Rinse off the bleach, remove the tape, and wash the negative.

Done! Look on [url="http://new55project.blogspot.com/"]New 55 Project[/i] for better information and pictures.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

The 4x5 Fuji is supposedly discontinued but still in stock in many places. The smaller 3x4 Fuji Instant should be around for a while since it is used in many more devices - this is the stuff for the old Polaroid 405 holder and medium format backs.

While I wouldn't trash a 545 yet just in case someone makes some sort of revival film, it is highly doubtful based on the track record. I have 2-3 545s in the basement awaiting some constructive demolition.

If I had a dollar for every time this question was asked here...................

Picture Snappin' Fool Black Lightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    If I had a dollar for every time this question was asked here...................
    What question is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    What question is that?
    can I put fuji instant film in a polaroid 545?

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...archid=5358406

RE: Fuji, color, instant pack film, in 4 X 5.
    Absent an official discontinuation notice from Fuji, it appears that in the 4 X 5 size, the color, FP10045c is still in production.
    Production has ceased on instant pack, b&w in 4 X 5, and has been officially announced by Fuji, with final shipments ending spring, (June ?) 2012.