Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Saber

Re: Chamonix Saber

At 11x14 I think it is hard to distinguish, once you go larger the 4x5 holds up better.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    Luc, I really like this one, but the rest is great too. Do you only use Grafmatic holders or the Chamonix adjusted holder? I understand that "normal" 4x5 holders need to be modified in some way.

Seems you are getting on well with the Saber. Please keep posting your experience and results. Looking forward for some wide open stuff

- Frank -
    To compare 4x5 with 150/5.6 lens to 6x7 with 80/4 lens is indeed close - if I am not wrong the DOF should be comparable. After all - you have used many cameras and could maybe share your insight on MF vs LF. We all know you keep using the Technika - so - why not Mamiya 7, Bessa III or GW690 instead?
    1) Yes I use only Graftmatic. here are two pins at the bottom and two screws at the top that fit into the grooves on the side of the Grafmatic to keep it in place.
    These grooves are not present in normal holders.

2) For now, I am not really convinced by HP5 pushed to 800. TMY-2 might be a better alternative for pushing (but more expansive)

3) I need to try on a tripod to get a better sense of what the lens/camera can do in the best conditions and go from there

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

I use mine with grafmatics also, (i have 5 of those), and also with a horseman 612 back a lot. The horseman keeps film costs in check vs 4x5. I also use it with a fuji pa-45, it is great to bring to get togethers and shoot and give people instant prints. They love the novelty of it. I get more comments when out shooting with the Saber in public than with any other camera, for the most part.

Hugo, have them keep making them if they can! There's no shortage of the polaroids on ebay, from what I have seen.

Ed

One more from last Saturday. This time at F16.

Cheers,

Luc

Since Ive got a Saber with the same lens as the 110A/B cameras...I figure I could give a little of my personal experience.

I like hiking in the SE Utah desert...where I personally would not want to take anything heavy. And as you can see in the list at the bottom of this post, there's a reason I took the Saber along with my SX70. Its damn sure light and compact.

If you have ever held a Land Camera from the 1970s, you know the bellows struts are not the most solid things made. Its perfectly fine for my needs, but maybe not yours.

The Saber is a "suit your needs" kind of camera. If you have a need for something like it, get one (if you can? is it that hard now?). Its not for replacing anything in your large format gear collection, but add to it.

Earlier someone posted their beginning of a 4x5 110 conversion and removing everything possible...a damn good idea. This is about as small as Ive ever been able to make one. Compacted graflok and body:

Here are some straight, no chaser, weight comparisons:
    • Polaroid 250 Land Camera - 2lb 10oz
    • Chamonix Saber 127mm Rodenstock in Copal 0 - 1lb 15oz
    • Unmodified Polaroid 110A/110B - 4lb 8oz
    • Converted Polaroid 110A/B 4x5 Compact Graflok - 3lb 11oz
      (4lbs 8oz with focusing panel ground glass attached)
    • Converted Polaroid 110A/B 4x5 Compact Body & Graflok - 3lb 6oz

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    In the last two years, Chamonix has made a few dozen of them and most of them were sold within hours inside China when they came out. I usually have a wait list for them and this Saber is getting recognized as words spread.

But due to the difficulties of finding and importing old Polaroid cameras in good conditions as parts to build these Sabers, we will stop making them this year after shipping the last batch of two dozens to people on my list.

Unless your guys have some better ideas and we will certainly look at them.

Good shooting and thanks!
    Hugo
    Why don't you ask future customers to supply the Polaroid that you need? I'm interested and I've got a 195 and two 450's collecting dust around here....

Quote Originally Posted by letchhausen View Post
    Why don't you ask future customers to supply the Polaroid that you need? I'm interested and I've got a 195 and two 450's collecting dust around here....
    Dont sacrifice the 195!? Unless you plan on keeping the shutter housing since its the only piece on the camera which gives it the identity "195".

And the 450 has its flashcube shoe...obtrusive unless you have some sort of adapter for a standard flash shoe (DIY i have seen).

I have been working like a dog including Saturdays and week-ends have been rainy.
    I took a few shots to test the focusing. Both shot at f5.6 (wide open) with focus at two different objects separated by about 15 cm, Delta 100 on tripod to eliminate shaky hands, distance about five meters.
    Here are the crops reduced to 1600 - hopefully it is enough to show that focus is showing a difference between the two and is at the right place.

#1 focus on first camera

#2 focus on Medalist

BTW I tried mounting another 150mm lens and the RF was totally out of sync with focus a meter behind the RF.

Cheers,

Luc

Luc, the focus looks OK.

Nice collection you have there
    Matus

After using the Saber for some time, I made a few changes:

1) Removed the release button and cable and replace by a Gepo tied to the handle

Why?
    Because the release button while looking very professional is not smooth enough which result in small camera movements. Now I can release with the camera firmly in hand.

Attachment 72503

2) Glued a spirit level in the empty space where the release button was seating

Why?
    It looks better than an empty slot and it is usefull on a tripod

Attachment 72504

3) Glued an eye piece on the RF window.

Why?
    I get a better definition for the centre and I can see the yellow frame better

Attachment 72505

No big deal but little things that I like.