Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Saber

Chamonix Saber

Hello,

I think that there were not that many produced so not many forum members that have hold one but if such is the case I would love to hear from users their impression of the camera.
    I have put my name on the waiting list for next year - details to be finalized when the production run takes place.
    I am looking at this as a "replacement" for my two Fuji 6x9 that i will soon put on sale.
    Ideally I would like to put on it my Fujinon-NW 125/5.6 but I think that on this run Hugo will provide the lens as mandatory.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Re: Chamonix Saber

I have one. I bought it new from someone who waited the year for it but then decided they didn't really need it. It's great, I've used it a ton. Mine has a 120mm APO Symmar, which is probably the best lens for this camera. (Its' the one it was designed around). Can't complain about much with it. I wish it had a hot-shoe, but I can live without it. I wish the grip/handle was a little better, but I could DIY something there if I was really motivated. I wish the viewfinder/rangefinder was a little more accurate regarding the framelines, and I wish it had framelines or lines for a 6x** back (6x9, 6x12, etc.)

I use it primarily with 3 backs: grafmatics, horseman 6x12 back, and Fuji PA-45 back. it's great with all 3. I haven't used the ground glass and double darkslide holder much at all, since the above 3 choices work better for me. The build quality on them in general is great, the DD film holders are beautifully made.

I had/have a pair of Fuji GW690III and GSW690III also - great cameras. The fujis are more rugged and quicker to shoot than the Saber, but the saber has so much more film realestate, it's the better choice for ultimate image quality in that regard. The fuji lenses are great, though I think the APO Symmar is their equal.

Enjoy,
    -Ed

Hello Ed,

Thank you for your answer and I am glad that you like it - it is very encouraging. My reasoning is that if I am going to carry as much weight as a GW690, I might as well have the real estate.
    Right now there is a used one for sale on APUG (by an unknown member from HK ) with a Symmar-S 150. The price is $1,300 plus 3% plus shipping. I get a feel that a new one in June might cost a lot more. I am still hoping that Hugo will change his mind and let me send him my lens.

Cheers,

Luc

I have come across this camera by accident (on eBay is one right now) and really like the idea. This the first really light and compact 4x5" RF I have seen.

Do I understand correctly that it is a 3x4" Polaroid camera updated with 4x5 back? I guess that the RF and lens mount/bellows are original (that is probably the origin of the 120-150 focal length limitation and minimal focus 1.5m).

Seems like an interesting option for 6x12 as well.

Ed, how do you find the rangefinder?
    Matus

Well I sold the two Fuji and just pull the trigger on the Saber for sale at APUG.
    It has a 150mm Symmar-S. I would have preferred something shorter 120/125mm but it was available with no waiting list to worry about.
    I have four Grafmatic and HP5+ in the fridge (the film ).
    Somebody is looking to look for the mailman everyday...

Cheers,

Luc

I'm sorry, but what's the fascination

It looks like any one of 10,000,000 variations of the Polaroid 100 to 450 cameras, plus the 185, and 195 models hiding in closets around the country. Albeit some modifications along the same lines as the various Pathfinder 110, 110A, 110B and 120.

Where's the mystery? Has the same Zeiss Ikon rangefinder on the top, a nicer lens added, and probably a selection of backs.... each one different for the film format desired. A little stick-on walnut shelf paper added.

Hmmm. What did I miss here.

Polaroid Camera...
    $10 to $50 on eBay, some creativity, drilling, screwing, etc.... $100 bucks plus a good lens. For that matter the Polaroid Pathfinder 127mm Rodenstock Ysarex, commonly found for $100, in a good running shutter, also on eBay. Total investment couple of hundred....????

Re: I'm sorry, but what's the fascination

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    It looks like any one of 10,000,000 variations of the Polaroid 100 to 450 cameras, plus the 185, and 195 models hiding in closets around the country. Albeit some modifications along the same lines as the various Pathfinder 110, 110A, 110B and 120.

Where's the mystery? Has the same Zeiss Ikon rangefinder on the top, a nicer lens added, and probably a selection of backs.... each one different for the film format desired. A little stick-on walnut shelf paper added.

Polaroid Camera...
    $10 to $50 on eBay, some creativity, drilling, screwing, etc.... $100 bucks plus a good lens. For that matter the Polaroid Pathfinder 127mm Rodenstock Ysarex, commonly found for $100, in a good running shutter, also on eBay. Total investment couple of hundred....????
    There you go destroying the magic right when I was going to "patent" the process and charge thousands for my versions too. I figure if I wrap them in the skins of exotic dead animals I can still get away with it.... Finding Asian Elves to work on the cameras is expensive.

Please don't tell them how the rangefinder goes wonky if you look at it funny. Or that it is still a delicate strut camera with a lot of plastic parts so it's pointless to put a fancy lens on it since nothing will ever be parallel or consistent in it over time.

(I've owned two conversions, not as slick as the Sabre. The Yasarex is a very fine lens, seems silly to "upgrade".)

Feel free to modify one for me and sell it to me for $500. If it works and the backs are secured, I will buy it

Cheers,

Luc

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post

Polaroid Camera...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    There you go destroying the magic right when I was going to "patent" the process and charge thousands for my versions too. I figure if I wrap them in the skins of exotic dead animals I can still get away with it.... Finding Asian Elves to work on the cameras is expensive.

Please don't tell them how the rangefinder goes wonky if you look at it funny. Or that it is still a delicate strut camera with a lot of plastic parts so it's pointless to put a fancy lens on it since nothing will ever be parallel or consistent in it over time.

(I've owned two conversions, not as slick as the Sabre. The Yasarex is a very fine lens, seems silly to "upgrade".)
    Hey Frank,

If I may ask why did you buy two? Different color for the leather or different focal length or you got a good deal from Dean or you were bored

Cheers,

Luc

Like a lot of photographers, I've (past tense) wanted a compact, handheld 4x5 and always paid attention to the modified Polaroids like the very expensive Littmann. I bought my first Razzledog 110 modification ~ 2004 with the common Yasarex lens and thought it performed fine. Dean Jones is also a tip-top gentleman and a very trustworthy and fair person to deal with. His cameras are priced sanely too.

However my comments about the modified Polaroids are that you're asking a lot from a simple camera that didn't need to be super-precise to only make Polaroid size prints. Frankly I don't think the rangefinder or the front standard are up to the task for critical, wide-open work at portrait distances. And while they are compact and nice enough cameras, to spend thousands on them is rather like getting gold and leather trim in a Yugo... it just seems silly.

I don't discount them out of hand at all. I even bought a second one a couple of years later to take on a trip to Italy, where it worked nicely (except for the rangefinder needing adjustment). I think they are good landscape - shoot at infinity cameras. Of course a simple wooden box would be too. And a $200 Crown Graphic is stronger, more versatile, has a better rangefinder (imho), interchangeable lenses, a better back, etc. and it is only slightly larger - a boxier form factor is the penalty (but it will close up with a 180mm in a Copal 1 lens attached so it may actually save room if you need to carry lenses separately).

That Saber does look nice, no question, I just doubt it is worth the money and it seems likely to be prone to the same complaints I already expressed with regards to the rangefinder and front end.

I also like to bust on Ebony buyers and incite class resentment and fight for those poor photographers, it's my way of sticking it to the man!