Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reeking film holders

Re: Reeking film holders

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I did purchase a box of two more 4x5 holders roughly 1-1/2 years ago as a test. They stunk as expected, but I placed them out in the garage to "air out." As of this writing, they still reek, albeit slightly less so.

The test continues...
    A bit more than five years later -- no change. They still stink.

This is why it is always a good idea to eat lots of garlic!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    This is why it is always a good idea to eat lots of garlic!...
    I find reeking photographers just as off-putting as reeking film holders. If in the field with the former, I always shoot from an upwind location.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I find reeking photographers just as off-putting as reeking film holders. If in the field with the former, I always shoot from an upwind location.
    It also works keeping away onlookers who ask-- "Is that Hasselblad?"
    Got to love a multi-tasker!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

When a house has a fire it is suggested to put out saucers of vanilla which somehow neutralizes the odor.

I wonder if putting a smelly film holder into a box with an open jar of vanilla would cure the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    When a house has a fire it is suggested to put out saucers of vanilla which somehow neutralizes the odor...
    There are many products/substances alleged to "neutralize" odors. They don't. Instead, they attempt to mask the offensive odor with their own. For people having low olfactory thresholds, that simply results in two smells, one that reeks and another which, while potentially pleasant on its own, is now negatively associated with the offensive one.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jens peter View Post
    Surprised to read the posting regarding smell from the Toyo holders. I have more than 40 toyo holders - all purchased new within the last 5 yrs. and I never experienced any smell.
    Got 10 new 8x10 holders from the same batch as Sal (mentioned above) - the entire shipment to Mamiya consisted of 11 holders - dident take the last one - I know it went to B&H (I also got the same notify me when available message shortly after). So I guess is it was the one holder Sal got. None of mine smelled and all 10 holders works flawlesly.

Just throwing this out there -- I wonder if a shipment got gassed with some sort of insecticide or such (perhaps due to food items in the same shipment, or some such)...and there was a reaction with the plastic to cause it to start breaking down and creating a by-product that causes the odor (yet leaving the material structually sound).

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    ___
    Did you intend to put any text in post #27 or just quote post #8 from 2005?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Just throwing this out there -- I wonder if a shipment got gassed with some sort of insecticide or such (perhaps due to food items in the same shipment, or some such)...and there was a reaction with the plastic to cause it to start breaking down and creating a by-product that causes the odor (yet leaving the material structually sound).
    I suspect the more likely explanation is that, when Toyo moved production of its film holder parts to China, the material used transitioned to one just as adulterated as many items manufactured there. This problem has been around so long and is so consistent that contamination by an insecticide used in shipping cannot explain it.

While the vast preponderance of items imported from China are "Walmart junk," some otherwise high-quality Chinese products can also found. Unfortunately, almost all of them stink too. A shame really, since adherence to proper material standards could enable China to become "the new Japan." It doesn't yet seem to be happening.