Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reeking film holders

Reeking film holders

Sal,

you're right - I missed the dates when those questions were originally submitted. Weird stuff though - smelly film holders:-)
    Juergen

Reeking film holders

I too have excetionally smelly toyo holders. I had to move them to another room they were so bad.

Reeking film holders

Today I walked along the haborfront together with my good friend, who happens also to be my photodealer - he said "are you aware that your new 8x10 Toyo filmholders smell?" I took delivery of 8 brand new Toyo 8x10 holders last week, .... and apparently there had been a distictive smell in the shops storage room before I picked them up. The staff had been looking for the caurse (thinking that it could be an electrical fire.....they located the smell to the holders after everybody had been using their noses). We laughed, and then I rememberd this thread, becaurse I once responded to it, saying that none of my Toyo filmholders ever smelled.
    Well, I went home, unpacked the 8 new holders, still in their original packing......and yes, very true, there is a distinctive smell, just like burned plastic from the holders. Not much, but still noticable. The holders are next to me right now - perfect, there is no oil, no chemical residue of any kind...just a slight smell from the plastic.
    I am quite sure that this is not a permanenent condition, that the smell will dissapear once the holders get unpacked and see some use. Just like when a room is freshly painted and smells from paint a week or two. Furthermore, nothing that will affect the function of the holders.
    Perhaps the smell just indicate that the holders may be from a fresh production batch from Toyo, a batch that may not have been kept in storage for a long time??

Best regards from Scandinavia :-)

Reeking film holders

The plastic or composite is outgassing. You might consider taking one to a local university that has a composites materials program. Our engineers are accustomed to such questions and can often identify the cause rather quickly.

Regarding the Browning that stank - it's likely from the stock finish, but sometimes a smell emanates from the cheap tack used in packaging. Obnoxious, modern materials.

Reeking film holders

"Regarding the Browning that stank - it's likely from the stock finish, but sometimes a smell emanates from the cheap tack used in packaging."

It was the reciever and barrels that strongly had the smell. I think it was the lubricant used in the CNC milling machines. Or the preserevative oil to keep things from rusting. Or both. The stock didnn't smell much. In fact, after wipeing it down the stock smelled like the rag I used. The rest of the gun smelled for a long time. If I open it up and get my nose close, I can just get a hint of it now.

The Toyo holders still have their smell, but not as overwelming as a few years ago. And they work fine and there seems to be no side affects.

The browning Citori superlite over/under .410 is a dream, and shoots right where I look.

dee

Reeking film holders

dee seegers The browning Citori superlite over/under .410 is a dream, and shoots right where I look.

Well, don't look at me!

OT continued: My wife's father had the last, genuine sportings good store in town and when he passed away he left a boatload of Brownings, but none of them from the Orient. ON TOPIC: he also left the Leica he bought new in 1934. oops - minature.

Another try - how does one get the smell of OLD out of equipment? And what is it? Not fungus, at least none that I can see. Also, is it just luck that the only fungused lenses I have seen were made in Japan? Finally, can anyone point to a digital old-smell plug-in for my Scratch-n-Sniff website?

Off to work. Bye.

Re: Reeking film holders

I have a few Toyo holders that had the smell. I think it took a couple months before the smell was gone.

I did purchase a box of two more 4x5 holders roughly 1-1/2 years ago as a test. They stunk as expected, but I placed them out in the garage to "air out." As of this writing, they still reek, albeit slightly less so.

The test continues...

"For sale new Toyo film holders, they are brand new, you can smell it"

Maybe they will turn out to be the best one's for quick and dirty photography!

I have used Riteway holders for as long as they have been manufactured and never scratched the back of the film. There must be something wrong with the ones you have used.