Thread: Camera cases for 4x5 body / Ebony 45S

Camera cases for 4x5 body / Ebony 45S

Hi,

this is another of my "research threads", hope that all my questions won't bother you

In the process of preparing my backpack i started to consider a solution to secure my camera. I use an Ebony 45S with lens attached, at this moment i keep the camera in a compartment made by padded separators, wrapped in a 20" Roadwired wrap, but i was thinking for a better solution.

I could not find a dedicated product, so i've considered as an option one of the large padded insertions(many chezp models on the market), but still not sure about that...

I've also saw some solutions offered by photobackpackers, camera cases of variable dimensions (one of them seem that would fit the 45S), but i wasn't able to find more infos about those cases..if the interior is padded, how the camera fits inside it etc..

Considering that i'm using a Lowepro 350 runner, i would look after compact solutions, because all the set up is already pretty fixed in the bag, not permitting big adds..

Re: Camera cases for 4x5 body / Ebony 45S

Check out the photobackpacker. I use the camera and lens cases (semi-hard) and really like them.
    Matus

Just write photobacker directly as it is a small operation with personal service.

However, the padded wrap is not a bad solution - it is low volume and flexible. As is a darkcloth wrapped around for added padding. Sometimes a cheap nylon lunchbox or Tupperware container will be perfectly sized ;-)

The important thing is to protect the ground glass. Classic field and press cameras designs like the Crown Graphic and Linhof Technika solve this problem by using a removable folding focusing hood with a metal panel that covers the glass. Some later cameras neglect the fact that they have a large fragile glass pane on the camera so you have to get - or make - a ground glass protector. It could simply be a piece of cardboard or foamcore, or a nicely shaped piece of plastic.

For example: http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...uct_list&c=166

photobackpacker.....great stuff and great service
    david

I've sent a message to photobackpacker and recived an answer pretty late; i've sent a second message asking some infos about their cases (if the interior is padded, if there are any kind of systems to fix the body inside the case) but until now no reply, and i've sent the message something like 2 weeks ago.

Probably they have a lot of business in this period and not so much time for mailing activity; i will continue to wait for thei answer.

Does anybody have some pictures for the photobackpacker cases? Or maybe some more detailed infos about them?

I've searched the web and couldn't find any image of the interior, mostly stock photos or images of cases with cameras already in it.

The case will cost me around 70$ (including shipping for europe) so before buy it would be useful to find a bit more about them, even if i'm sure that it's a quality product.

About the GG protection i was also thinking for the solution offered by Badgers; any review about that product?

The ebony came with a metal plate GG protector, which i consider fine , but sometimes it gives me the sensation that a metal corner will end on the GG surface (the other day i was pretty close to that, on the field with frozen hands , trying to put back the GG plate). So, do you consider that the clear plexi will be better than the factory metal plate?

many thanks to all

The interior is plain black and soft (not much to see there, really) - velcro dividers can be used if you want to use it for something else than the camera body (I do so as I have 2 of these cases, by accident).

Bruce (owner of the Photobackpacker) was just introducing new system for film holders in the last weeks, so this may have occupied him. My experience was that he answers quickly and is very helpful if you need more details or advice.

Concerning the GG protector (I do not have one), there should be simple plastic ones on the market that should be light and not have tendency to scratch your GG.
    Matus

The Badger GG protector is made by Canham, Calumet also sells a different version. I do not know if it will be a perfect fit with your camera, sometimes they are a little wide or the back has an awkward shape. Unless another user of your camera can tell you for sure, most people simply buy and try, then return it or sell it on the forum.

On the website for PhotobackPacker :

http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.php

one can see images / videos of the system in action. I have two, one for 4x5 and the other for 8x10 Canham. With the inner cases, items are well protected. One of the camera cases sold fit the Canham 8x10 like a glove. After years of use the GC hasn't been broken yet, this without the extra protector for GC. Very comfortable to wear and versatile system. The video for the new film carry cases also shows the backpack in action.

A very happy customer,

Tim

Richard Brown

I have the ebony 45s and use Bruce's case... it doesn't have thick padding but has been safe dragging it through France and up here in the mountains. I use a gg protector like
    the Canham, leave the lens on and drop the bellows viewing device over the lens.
    Great product, great company/owner. Have one for my Canham 57 as well. Buy it.
    Richard