Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weston: 125 photos book on sale on Amazon

Weston: 125 photos book on sale on Amazon

$150, normally $200 at Amazon. Went on sale at 7:30 via their lightning deals. You have about ten minutes to get the deal before it sells out. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Look in the top right corner of page for deal info.

--Darin

Re: Weston: 125 photos book on sale on Amazon

I am curious about the selection of images compared with the Lodima book. Anyone seen both ?

Me too.

It's sitting here in a box so I can't tell you anything yet. Check back on Jan 7th.

But if I recall correctly the Lodima book is from a single collection while this book is not.

--Darin

Darin, you recall correctly, moreover it was a private collection, hence my interest in the new book, although the Lodima is extremely well printed.

Thanks for the heads-up. I was really tempted, but have been building up my photo library with used books and $150 goes a long way. Enjoy your copy and let us know how you like it.

I received the following by a contributor who prefers to remain anonymous:

"I have both the Lodima book and the new one. I am most disappointed with the new one. The book contains all the usual suspects--virtually nothing I haven't seen numerous times before as all prints are from the CCP collection. In addition, the essay reads like it was written by an advanced high school student with no original thoughts, insights, or research. All that wouldn't be so bad if not for the quality of the printing. Indifferent to poor is my assessment. While most new books, the Lodima included, attempt to make platinum look like platinum and to make glossy look glossy, there is no such attempt here. What's worse is the reproduction of Springtime, 1943 with Charis behind the screened window at Wildcat Hill. I have Kim Weston's print of that along with two other book reproductions. The new book's reproduction is the worst of all three--there is some kind of moire thing going on with the screen. All I can say is I'm glad I paid "only" $180 for it and not the $200 they want for it now at Amazon. In retrospect, even the bright gold slipcase is garish. The Vivian Maier book by the same publisher (Ammo) is superior at a fraction of the price.

I would see the new book as being a "greatest hits" kind of volume--most have been published elsewhere numerous times. That doesn't mean that the "classic" Westons are not represented well in the Lodima book such as the Oceano and other nudes of Charis, Death Valley dunes, Pepper #30, Excusado, and some shell images and well-known portraits. But there are many "rarities" in the Lodima book not at all represented in the new one.

The interesting thing to me is that the Center for Creative Photography collection from which the new book's prints were taken, is not in any way exhaustive. I own Amy Conger's survey of the CCP collection and was struck by the number of well-known images not represented there.

So to sum up, I see the new book, printing issues aside, as being a good all-round introduction to Weston, but one might be better off to acquire a variety of books (second hand) that would give a more rounded view. I recommend the two Weston's Westons books, one on nudes and portraits and one on California and the West; Margarethe Mather and Edward Weston: A Passionate Collaboration; Tina Modotti and Edward Weston: The Mexico Years; and Edward Weston: Photography and Modernism.

On another note, I mentioned that I have a Kim Weston print of Spring, 1943 which is poorly printed in the new book and well printed in The Last Years in Carmel. I was struck by the glow of the contact print and the detail where you can clearly make out the fact that Charis's arms are pressed against the screen in a couple of places. I placed a 10x magnifying glass on the print and was shocked to be able to see the fabric of the screen--all the little wires crisscrossing were crystal clear. It's a mush in the reproductions, of course. Thus the lure of the contact print! "

Well, this is very informative. Thank you for posting it.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

A few years back I purchased Edward Weston: A Legacy from Borders with a hefty (40% off) coupon. I miss Borders. It's the only Ed Weston book that I have and it's excellent. I just checked amazon and it's now selling for $175 used and $575 new so it was a very good investment.

Thomas

I received the Lodima book from Dody shortly after release a few years ago, and believe that the reproductions are from her former collection of Edward Weston prints. She sold her collection, and the prints are reproductions from the subsequent purchase of that sale. Many were acquired during her time as an assistant to Edward. As with all of the Lodima books, Michael and Paula are on press and this one is superlative in reproduction.

The current book is a bit of a puzzle. The publicity surrounding pre-publication showed the iconic Weston images, most of which would be hard to surpass in quality after the Lodima publication. The timing is also strange, as this is Brett's centennial year. In fact, there will be a gathering in Carmel this Friday (December 16) to commemorate his 100th birthday.

I also have a print by Kim from Edward's negative that you reference, and it is indeed stunning. I was raised on Edward Weston contact prints!