• Something else.

7 58.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice needed, new digi view or linhof

advice needed, new digi view or linhof

Hi. I need some advice.

Background.
    I shoot architecture / landscape and some products with a 4x5 linhof technikardan s45 and rodenstock Sironar S lenses.

Advice.
    Ive am starting to feel compelled to turn digital, mainly due to time and request from my clients. So then I scoped the market for a solution. And I found the following options. All to be combined with a p65 phase one back. Money is not really an issue, just quality and function. And i dont want to leave the view cameras and I must have shift funtion, tilt is optional but nice to have.

1. Add a phase one view adapter for my linhof (if they exist) and get a wider lens. That would work fine, since I really love working with the linhof. The questions is, how will it work with my existing pre digital lenses? Everyone seams to think its impossible and the image quality will be horrible. Any experience? No mather what I will be keeping the linhof sine I shoot my own projects on film or b&w.

2. Get second system with tilt and shift function and buy new lenses...

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Arca swiss F[/COLOR] and similar rail systems
    That should work fine, but its so similar to my linhof that I rather stay with that one.

Arca Swiss Rm3d
    Its compact and have a shift function. But it seams like the widest lens is 90mm and that is not enough. I need something equal to 300mm on a 4x5. The lenses are strangely placed so that its a bit tight to wind them (to far back in camera/bellow). The first impression is not that good. a bit to complicated construction.

[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]Silvestri Bicam[/COLOR]
    This is my favorite. If it supported longer lenses this would have been my choose (max 105mm). Simple and easy to work with. Combined with a p65 phase one and its a winner. You can use tilt with a adapter, and thats ok since I mainly use that in the studio.

I dont know where im going with this, but what are you using? maybe there is something Ive missed and should know about? Or you throw something out there and I can research it...

thanks
    -----------------
    4x5 and 6x6 stuff

Re: advice needed, new digi view or linhof

Get a Linhof Techno, some digital lenses and have the best of both worlds. The Techno will let you use a 28mm on a flat board! With a W/A bellows, of course.

I use the Arca Swiss M-Line 2 with a Phase One P45 back. The pancake type camera you mentioned, the Arca Swiss Rm3d is comparable to my Alpa Max. The pancake type cameras are a good choice for landscape work, but not so much so for tabletop work although with enough $$$ can be used. You will need to use lenses and or lens mounting adapters specifically made for the pancake type cameras; this equates to a $1700 lens will now cost you $3500+ (same exact lens but with camera specific mount) --not so for the M-Line 2 or Linhof view camera models, one reason I made the transition to the M Line 2 from my presvious F-Line models. If you are going to make the switch, you will need to eventually upgrade your lenses to digital versions for optimum quality.

Is it worth it? Yes, if you are a productive commercial studio or a well-to-do hobbyist (feed the camera industry please).

My 2 cents.

Ha, I know i would get some good opinions. I just came back from the shop after having felt a bit on the Arca F line. Not super impressed, and in the bag it takes up more space then my linhof...

The Techno or the M line seams nicer. Ill get back to you guys when I have looked in to it a bit more.

Does anyone got a link to a test between analog lf lens and digital ones with a phase one or del? I know the digital i sharper and has problems with overlapping colors and so on analog lenses. But is the result in same class as my imacon scanned 4x5s? If so I can start of with my existing lenses...
    -----------------
    4x5 and 6x6 stuff

How can you leave out the Techno and the M679cs? Or the TK 23S with the digital option? Or the master Technika 3000 with the shift back and digital option?

How can you leave out the Techno and the M679cs? Or the TK 23S with the digital option? Or the master Technika 3000 with the shift back and digital option?
    Thats why I asked you guys. The tk23 is a natural choose in many ways. Especially since I work so much with the 45s. But since the size/weight is ok with the 45 i might just as well do a mask for the view glass and attach the phase one there instead.

Thats the same with all the 6x9 rail cams, they are quite wide and bulky in the bag compared to the 45s. (except possibly the techno)...

ps
    How the heck do I update the poll?
    -----------------
    4x5 and 6x6 stuff

Sounds like you also need something with geared movements. The Arca M line would be hard to beat. The Linhof would be much more compact but I don't think it has any geared movements other than focus. Perhaps I am wrong on that?

Quote Originally Posted by norly View Post
    Thats why I asked you guys. The tk23 is a natural choose in many ways. Especially since I work so much with the 45s. But since the size/weight is ok with the 45 i might just as well do a mask for the view glass and attach the phase one there instead.

Thats the same with all the 6x9 rail cams, they are quite wide and bulky in the bag compared to the 45s. (except possibly the techno)...

ps
    How the heck do I update the poll?
    Why not using the tools professionals use? I would take Bob's advice seriously, if I were you. Are you a professional who is looking for a professional solution? My guts tell me it is not the case (nothing wrong with it) - a camera being wide in the bag is not a reason for a professional photographer to consider. Professional tools take what they take. Also, the strange (always for a professional, otherwise very comprehensible) way of deciding - with a pool?? Who said it - "Truth is not decided with a vote of majority" (cannot remember right now)?

You need to look at the Arca Swiss M Line Monolith 6x9 before you buy anything.

The M Monolith has full movements on both standards, all geared and self-locking.

The M Line 2 has rise/fall/shift on the rear, and tilt/swing on the front, which makes it lighter in weight than the M Monolith.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Sounds like you also need something with geared movements. The Arca M line would be hard to beat. The Linhof would be much more compact but I don't think it has any geared movements other than focus. Perhaps I am wrong on that?
    Absolutely wrong! All movements on the Linhof Techno and the Linhof M679cs digital view cameras are very precisely geared for maximum control with digital. Gearing on these cameras is much more precise then the gearing on any view camera designed for film.